Gas boiler - No rolling boil - advice on a new reg plz

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nath812

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Im having a few issues with the new(ish) setup. I bought a 70ltr nordic pot and a gas ring from hamiltons here - http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Square_Gas_Boiling_Ring.html. I didnt really think about the regulator so when I scrolled down the page I just bought a 37mbar reg and Im thinking this is why everything is taking so long.

I searched on this site and came across different regs, but I am unsure what I am allowed to use on my burner and kettle set up. Back onto haliltons site (other gas sites available :P ) I came acroos this http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatal..._Bar_High_Pressure_Propane_Gas_Regulator.html. Would this work? and if it does will I have a problem melting the nordic pot (and burning down my garage!)

Thanks,

Nath

The 37mBar reg is made to work with burners up to 9KW . . .but will only supply 1Kg of gas per hour which may be what is limiting you. Try Looking for a regulator that can deliver4Kg of Gas per hour which will be more than enough to get a decent rolling boil.

Under NO circumstances use a High pressure regulator with these gas rings as you are more than likely to end up blowing the flame out with the subsequent risk of explosion

Brilliant, I will have a look for that. I have a dial at the base of the burner which restricts flow so I can still adjust it from there if the whole 4kg per hour is too much I assume? If not then it would be a waste of gas if I cannot adjust it.

Also it says sutible for a 4.5kg calor cylinder - mine is 19kg

I use the same gas ring and same regulator as you do with a 70 Litre Stainless Stock Pot and have absolutely no problems getting 60 odd litres to a rolling boil, I have to turn the ring down once it's boiling else I'd have no beer left after an hour of boiling.

I can only assume something isn't working correctly, as what you have should do the job.

Thanks for the reply, tell me - what position do you have the silver breather thingy?

(yeah Im that technical!)

Silver breathy thing needs to be fully open.

I actually assumed I had the same regulator as you as I bought the one from the site that was recommended to go with that Gas Ring, however I was just in the garage tidying up after a brew day and looked at the reg and noticed it is actually a 50 mBar one.

Sweet, those are cheap enough anyhoo so I may as well upgrade. Ta for all the help peeps!

Righty now im uber confused.

So these low pressure regs come in 37mbar and 50mbar. Whats the difference - does 50 allow more heat? They also come in 1kg / 1.5kg and 4kg per hour capacities which I assume is the rate of gas coming out (so my 13kg canister would only last 3 and a bit hours on a 4kg reg???)

Sorry chaps, I just cant get me head round it all! Ive searched the net and I cant find any real guide.

Cant see from the pic how many kg per hour yours is, dont suppose you know?

Thanks mate, may have to get a 50mbar 1kg per hour version then, as mine is 37mbar 1.5kg per hour and I will be dammned if I can get a rolling boil!

have you tried putting a shroud round the burner or are you already in a draught free area?

To be honest I bought the gas so I could brew "outdoors" as my homemade leccy plastic 30ltr boiler was destroying our kitchen paintwork and gettin in the way of swmbo. So it has been a bit drafty, though I was using wind breaks.

luckily for me my next door neighbour has kindly "given" me his garage to brew and ferment in, so now im enclosed again and have a place witch gets no hotter than 19c in summer! Woo!

Thanks for all the help peeps, looking forward to my first indoor brew day in over a year now!

I did a bit of an experiment with regulators, as, although I get a decent rolling boil with a 37mbar standard propane regulator I wasn't blown away by the performance (in other words the time it takes to raise the temperature to boiling can be slow).
With this in mind I bought one of these clicky which is a 50mbar to 150mb adjustable. After using it, to be honest it doesn't make much difference. At 50mbar I can open the boiling rings valve fully and it looks as normal, perhaps slightly more power to the flame. As soon as you crank the pressure up on the adjustable regulator the gas is coming out of the holes so fast that the flame leaps away from the drilled holes on the boiling ring. Although this might be a hotter output it is certainly not safe as a slight breeze would blow the flames out as aleman said in his post. I did also buy a high pressure regulator to try but this has stayed in it's box!

As for the mbar rating this is simply the pressure that the gas is. You could compare it to the amperage in electricity or pressure of water in a water pipe. The higher the pressure the more gas can be burned per unit of time (but not necessarily supply lots of burners at the same time)

For the kg/hour capacity rating this is the flow and I'd imagine means you can connect the same gas bottle to several devices if you have a higher number. You could compare this to the voltage in electricity or the volume of water flowing in a pipe. The higher the kg/hour the more burners you could supply (but not necessarily at a higher heat output)

hmmm, hope that makes sense, as thats how I understand it :wha: :grin:

Thanks for all the info (and hard work). Gonna use my normal 37mbar jobbie but indoors so I will see if it makes a difference.

Cheers :cheers:

make sure you keep the doors & windows open...alcohol poisoning is one thing, carbon monoxide poisoning is another :shock:

Latest posts

Back