Giving blood

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanshelton

Landlord.
Reaction score
I gave another pint of blood today and it got me thinking. I donate but swmbo hates needles and my parents don't donate either.

How many of you give blood? What's your reasons? For those that decide not to, what's your reasons?

Having been the recipient of 21 pints of blood in the past I am immensely grateful. Unfortunately it also means I am not allowed to give blood any more, but I used to when I was younger.

I started donating as my mum did. Have now been donating on and off for almost 30 years. My wife started BECAUSE she hates needles and wanted to get over it.

I have now stopped whole blood and did my 1st platelet donation last weekend. My dad has recently been treated successfully for cancer and thought that I would up the help that I can provide.

If you can , I think you should BUT its an individual choice !

Both my mum and dad have donated for years.

I have always wanted to but due to medication I have been taking am unable to.

Also whenever the donation truck is close by I'm generally in work and unable to get free to donate.

I will be donating soon though

Runwell-Steve said:
Having been the recipient of 21 pints of blood in the past I am immensely grateful. Unfortunately it also means I am not allowed to give blood any more, but I used to when I was younger.

Like Steve I used to but not allowed to now. And I HATE needles.

I tried once, resulted in my lieing down for an hour or so before I could walk properly.

so sadly I can't, but if I could I would. I can't even take the kids to have teeth removed, again from experience, my wife had to come pick me up .. Useless :lol:

I am an organ donor though, just not my eyes!

I'd be happy to but I've never gotten round to it. I've never said no to it, I've just never looked out the opportunity or been pressed into a decision.

They should ask everyone who goes to the doctors and has nothing wrong (or has a cold or something) to donate a pint. That would either increase supplies or reduce wasted GP time.

dennisdk2000 said:
I would love to give blood, but gay people aren't allowed to give blood.

Dennis
Dennis, don't be silly(sounds better than "stop being a ****!") if you or your blood is uninfected with a communicable disease(common cold!) you can donate your blood and believe me people who need blood do not give a flying fig where it came from! we are all the same species, your blood will not make me gay, my blood will not make you, a crazy part Welsh idiot with a bit of Irish and God alone knows what else with a drink problem. ;)
PS, sexual orientation is not a bar to donation. Get real and donate; They don't even care if you are French, German, Swiss, Polish, Senegalese, Italian, Moroccan, Jewish, Catholic, Don't Care, Atheist, Alien....... might be a problem... ;)

Always wanted too but I received blood as a child so I can't donate.

i havent given blood for a few years but i as both my parents had cancer when i was young and i have had 2 lots of major surgery.

my mrs hates needles but i managed to get to give blood once as her mum had cancer a few years back.

I've always said I would and the blood back know comes to the church hall near us but I usually forget the day it's there or am I bed or have the kids
ive considered becoming a bone marrow donor as well I am an organ donor no good to me when I fall off the mortal coil

31bb3 said:
or have the kids
ive considered becoming a bone marrow donor as well I am an organ donor no good to me when I fall off the mortal coil

im the same with the kids , im also a organ donor, i did think about the bone marrow but never got round to looking in to it,

I give blood, have always been encouraged to by my dad who has a rare blood type and sometimes gets called on when blood is needed.

I felt that Dennis's treatment was a bit harsh there, Gay men were banned from donating blood in the eighties with the AIDS epidemic and it stayed that way until very recently when the ban was tweaked to only include gay men who have had sex during the last 12 months. Most folk don't know about the new rule though as it wasn't exactly publicised to encourage eligible gay men to give blood.

Seems mad if you ask me, our blood stocks are always too low but a lot of things in officialdom don't make sense to me.

Back