go to bittering hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening all. I seem to be defaulting to using Magnum for bittering, mostly because it's cheap and does the job.

Am I missing a trick (several tricks!) though? What bittering hops do you use and why?

Cheers!

Evening all. I seem to be defaulting to using Magnum for bittering, mostly because it's cheap and does the job.

Am I missing a trick (several tricks!) though? What bittering hops do you use and why?

Cheers!
No, I don't think you are missing a trick. The old recipes recommend using Goldings and Fuggles to bitter and that is just a bit crazy.

No, I don't think you are missing a trick. The old recipes recommend using Goldings and Fuggles to bitter and that is just a bit crazy.

Thanks for that. So what do different 'bittering' hops bring to the table? If it really is just bitterness I guess I'll stick to what I know.....

The idea behind magnum is it just adds bitterness and you get all the hop character and flavours from the late hops. Personally in an IPA I like the harsh bitterness you get from target, challenger is also a good bittering hop thats worth trying.

The idea behind magnum is it just adds bitterness and you get all the hop character and flavours from the late hops. Personally in an IPA I like the harsh bitterness you get from target, challenger is also a good bittering hop thats worth trying.
Thanks, appreciate your thoughts. So does Magnum provide a 'smooth' bitterness? Not sure I know what 'harsh' tastes like. Perhaps I should experiment a little...

Its hard to describe but basically yes, and like I sort of said it should be a go to hop if you want the late hops to be the main show. Target is definitely worth trying to see what is mean't by a harsh bitterness. Also adding the bittering hops as soon as you add the wort to the boiler before the boil starts is supposed to give a less harsh bitterness.

I've just started using Admiral for bittering, but I've not yet tasted the first brew made with it. Even then, it's a 7.5% Vanilla Bourbon Stout with 30 IBUs so it's not going to be a good assessment. Previously, I've used challenger and first gold, also fuggles a couple of times when the IBUs and OG are low. Only time I've found the bitterness to much was my variation on Greg Hughes Spring Beer, it's a pale ale hopped with galaxy, I'm pretty sure that's what harsh bitterness tastes like.

+1 for Target. First used it 40 years ago and still think it imparts a uniquebitterness to an English IPA. AND reasonably priced!

Many good hops out there :).

Magnum is a very "safe" bittering hop, I would say.
I don't think there are any styles in which it is completely out of place.

As for IPA's, many different styles out there. Personally I think that for the citrus explosion of an american IPA you can just skip bittering hops all together. You'll get plenty of bitterness from the late hop.
For more temperate English IPA a good bittering hop adds balance and refinement :).

Its hard to describe but basically yes, and like I sort of said it should be a go to hop if you want the late hops to be the main show. Target is definitely worth trying to see what is mean't by a harsh bitterness.

Interesting - that explains why I'm not that keen on beers with Target in them , I have a load in the freezer that have been there for years.

I'll have to give Magnum a go, never used it, Challenger and Fuggles are my usual go-to bittering hops.

Used Apollo a lot recently and it works pretty well. 10g is enough at 60 minutes for a NEIPA style brew

I’m currently using Apollo too. I buy bittering hops purely on the basis of cost versus alpha acid content as the hop oils which give flavour and aroma are volatile and evaporate during the boil. For the same reason, I have recently started adding flavour and aroma hops after the boil once the wort temperature has fallen below 80 degrees C and steep them for around 30 minutes. Seems to maximise the “hoppiness” and make the most of low alpha acid flavour and aroma hops.

I askd a similar question a few months ago, and decided to try Magnum, and have used it in every brew since.
Add it at first wort (before the boil) and it is very "smooth", and I like a good bitter edge to almost all my beers.

Warrior is good. Similar co-humulone to Magnum, slightly higher alpha-acid. It's been my usual bittering hop for all styles for a few years now.

Back