Good head they say.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd start looking at classic dried yeasts like Danstar Nottingham, and Safale S-04, they also will probably settle a bt better than the wilkos yeast.

Another alternative is to start dabbling in liquid yeasts, I personally want to try Wyeast 1968 in something, as it is good at compacting down into sediment, and supposedly has a good flavor profile

I've actually just got some safale 04 I will use for my next mini mash brew. I will deffo look at the liquid yeast, there seems to be a good selection with some decent flavour profiles.

Yup. Nottingham/Wilko Ale/Gervin G12 is all the same yeast

That is in line with my information. The real issue with Muntons kits comes down in the end to the lack of viable yeast cells at pitching time.

Their Gervin G12 is twice the size of the silly little (6g) sachet that comes with all their kits. Many of which have hung around retail displays at 20C+ for many weeks on end.

The "stuck Wherry" is basically due to an inadequate yeast pitch. Nothing at all wrong with the wort.

Of late, my "go-to" yeast is US 05, as it is fairly heat tolerant, does not tend to give too much krausen and delivers a very clean tasting beer.

The only down side to US 05 seems to be that it really does seem to need 2 weeks in primary and 1 week in secondary FV before bottling.

That is in line with my information. The real issue with Muntons kits comes down in the end to the lack of viable yeast cells at pitching time.

Their Gervin G12 is twice the size of the silly little (6g) sachet that comes with all their kits. Many of which have hung around retail displays at 20C+ for many weeks on end.

The "stuck Wherry" is basically due to an inadequate yeast pitch. Nothing at all wrong with the wort.

Of late, my "go-to" yeast is US 05, as it is fairly heat tolerant, does not tend to give too much krausen and delivers a very clean tasting beer.

The only down side to US 05 seems to be that it really does seem to need 2 weeks in primary and 1 week in secondary FV before bottling.

My 'go to' yeast at the mo is S04 for similar reasons (apart from being a 'clean' yeast)

My 'go to' yeast at the mo is S04 for similar reasons (apart from being a 'clean' yeast)

I've not actually used S04. Does it leave slightly more complex sugars than US 05?

I guess that would give a "maltier" taste and feel to the finished product.

I've not actually used S04. Does it leave slightly more complex sugars than US 05?

I guess that would give a "maltier" taste and feel to the finished product.

Yes. It doesn't seem to attenuate quite as fully as US-05 (but I've only used US-05 once though) and some people say it has a bready or a sulphury taste. Can't say I've noticed either, I use it for the lower attenuation for my bitters and milds

My pal who's a brewer uses US-05 in most of his brews, my god the stuff he does is cracking but there seems to be a banana taste if that makes sense?

I find chucking in a small amount of torrified wheat adds to a good head retention.

I just find Safale yeast very bland. I know a lot of micros use their yeast but a lot of micros produce very bland beer.

My pal who's a brewer uses US-05 in most of his brews, my god the stuff he does is cracking but there seems to be a banana taste if that makes sense?

Fermentation temp is possibly a bit on the high side if it's producing banana flavours.

I like US-05 but find it doesn't stick to the bottom of bottles like other yeasts and can end up in the beer, even with careful pouring.

Back