Grainfather burn

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itry

Regular.
Reaction score
What is the best way of getting rid of the burn at the bottom of the grainfather. Im convinced its helping to make my beer taste bad.

I don't have the grainfather, so I'm not qualified to comment on that piece of kit.
However, I do have a 5 gallon boiler/kettle.
I use a scourer to keep the bottom clean.

I don't have the grainfather, so I'm not qualified to comment on that piece of kit.
However, I do have a 5 gallon boiler/kettle.
I use a scourer to keep the bottom clean.
Same here - the scourer I use is one of those stainless steel ones. Doesn't contain any gritty stuff and doesn't seem to scratch the stainless steel of my boiler, yet really cuts through the burn't on stuff.
I even use it on my plastic FVs and it doesn't appear to scratch them either.

Nylon brush and water for the worst of it on my Robobrew, then a good 80c recirculation with sodium percarbonate or Oxi for 20 mins.

If a nylon brush and the use of your normal cleaning powder does not shift it then Bar Keepers Friend is awesome stuff.

If I remember rightly, the instructions say regularly scrape the crud off with a paddle while boiling. Seems a bit extreme! I lightly rib it off with a SS scouring pad at end of day.

Back