Grainfather S40 - Mistake? Shall I return and get something else?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 brews have been miles out on my S40.
The first was a Sharks clone and the second was one that I'd put together myself, inputted everything to the app and it's well out. Should be 7.2% and it's 4.9%. Maybe my numbers were wrong when inputting them but it shouldn't be that far out.
Never reached boil, even putting it to 103 I don't think it read more than 98. Wouldn't hold at 68, always dropping down to 65 before "heating" shows on the screen.
Not sure whether to try for a refund with Brew2Bottle due to these issues.
I’ve had my s40 since it was first released I complained about the issues you report to Grainfather and got £100 Voucher to spend on their website. Basically the s40 is rebadged Klarstein with different firmware. The whole experience with the s40 over the last two years has put me off Grainfather products. The manual states set to 103 to boil so you can never get a boil timer. Where I am boiling point is 99 degrees. The one time I got a boil timer (with the lid on) it got to 100 and switched off the heater.

To be honest my s40 is getting relegated to a sparge water heater which is all it is fit for in the next couple of months I’m going to be looking for some other all in one but definitely not a Grainfather.

I’ve had my s40 since it was first released I complained about the issues you report to Grainfather and got £100 Voucher to spend on their website. Basically the s40 is rebadged Klarstein with different firmware. The whole experience with the s40 over the last two years has put me off Grainfather products. The manual states set to 103 to boil so you can never get a boil timer. Where I am boiling point is 99 degrees. The one time I got a boil timer (with the lid on) it got to 100 and switched off the heater.

To be honest my s40 is getting relegated to a sparge water heater which is all it is fit for in the next couple of months I’m going to be looking for some other all in one but definitely not a Grainfather.
Cheers for that.

I'll get an email put together to both B2B and Grainfather and see where I get.

Should have don't a bit more research but the S40 was cheap and the few video reviews I watched didn't mention the temperature issues.

Live and learn though I suppose 🙄

Cheers for that.

I'll get an email put together to both B2B and Grainfather and see where I get.

Should have don't a bit more research but the S40 was cheap and the few video reviews I watched didn't mention the temperature issues.

Live and learn though I suppose 🙄
I would do too I reckon Grainfather will discontinue this soon Angel homebrew have the last gen brewzilla which is around the same price as the s40 in every respect it’s a better machine

What somebody finally realised that Grainfather products are over priced against the opposition, (BUT they are better made and put together so they are worth the extra £000).
I have said this for years they did and still do use the same bonded elements and pumps as the cheaper opposition in there lower end models but are still £000's more athumb.. clapa:laugh8:

Well foxy as we know most all in ones are made in various factories in China. I’m off my feet at the moment with a broken ankle but once I’m back on my feet I’m going down either the Brewzilla route or Bulldog Master Brewer

I think Grainfather know full well they messed up with the S40. Anyone in doubt should definitely complain. From my experience, they are in "restore reputation" mode about it and are willing to fix it.

I think Grainfather know full well they messed up with the S40. Anyone in doubt should definitely complain. From my experience, they are in "restore reputation" mode about it and are willing to fix it.
I've emailed Brew 2 Bottle as the Grainfather website states to only contact them if purchased direct.

I'll give B2B a couple of days and if I don't hear anything I'll go direct to Grainfather.

Having similar problems. It just doesnt work as an AIO. Complained to B2B also about the poor temperature control, leaking fittings and now i have also been advised to set boil temp to 103, which it never reaches, so having to use a seperate time. Really defeats the purpose. Can I suggest we ask B2B for feedback on all of these issues, so we can collectively discuss them.

And sorry for also "hijacking"

The instructions mention setting to 103 so we know they knew of these problems before the s40 hit retail. The first thing I got emailed from grainfather asked me to take videos and about 7 other actions they wanted me to do.

I emailed back to say that what they had asked me to do was onerous. About a day later they offered me a voucher to close the case which I accepted because I thought I wasn’t going to get anywhere else. The s40 isn’t fit for purpose at the time it was released in October 2021 it was £445 it’s now down to £349 at a number of retailers.

One upshot of this I was in my lHBS a few months back and the Bevie Rep was there so I had a quick chat about the issues I have had including the boil timer the fact it doesn’t reach a rolling boil without the lid half on and the firmware on the controller only gives part functionality. He shrugged his shoulders and pointed out he had heard all this before…..

I don't see any hijacking here! I started this thread to post my initial concerns and those ended up being the tip of the iceberg after a few trial brews. It gives me validation that others are experiencing similar issues and I hope Grainfather see this thread.

Had this reply.
Screenshot_20230913_163756_Gmail.jpg

Answered that its using 2300w.
Setting to 68 and it dropping to 65 before slowly coming back up isn't very good.
It's like it getting close to a boil but never quite gets there.

It takes a bit to get back the 3° too. It's not as if it's dropping and then going back up within the same minute.

I'm not daft but I'm definitely not smart enough toget trading standards involved etc with strongly written emails. I'm not even 100% sure if I'll have any luck with Grainfather.
Brew 2 bottle have sent them what I told them and are awaiting an answer on what to do.
I'm considering just saying it's not fit for purpose and would like a full refund. I'm just hoping that if I do I get the money back onto my card and not website/GF vouchers.

I got it in May and have only brewed twice with it.

The mashing issue is what got me the refund I desired. 3 degrees simply isn't good control to hit desired numbers properly. How are you supposed to repeat a brew when there's that much of a swing? It's a lottery in terms of FG on this thing!

The mashing issue is what got me the refund I desired. 3 degrees simply isn't good control to hit desired numbers properly. How are you supposed to repeat a brew when there's that much of a swing? It's a lottery in terms of FG on this thing!
Thats how I would fight it. It is a brewing machine and having a mash that is controlled within 1 degree at least is required a 3 degree difference is the difference between a Lager and a Bitter in mashing.
So how you are expected to brew specific beers with that much variance is not feasible hence not fit for purpose.
Edit
they have shot themselves in the foot admitting it has a 3 degree variance in Temp Control

Thats how I would fight it. It is a brewing machine and having a mash that is controlled within 1 degree at least is required a 3 degree difference is the difference between a Lager and a Bitter in mashing.
So how you are expected to brew specific beers with that much variance is not feasible hence not fit for purpose.
Edit
they have shot themselves in the foot admitting it has a 3 degree variance in Temp Control
Exactly!

Just had a similar reply from gareth myself. After noticing the hysteresis on temp control I queried the suitability of the device as "fit for purpose"
As has been mentioned, temperature control is pretty critical, and I honestly think the S40 is going to cause more problems.
I've asked him how to proceed from here.

Latest posts

Back