Guess the infection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jj86

Reaction score
Two batches gone bad - my fault I left them for a month in the fermentation chamber.

Exhibit A

Attachments

• 2315D6C7-E8EC-4F84-9D64-1F27A6FE2C9C.jpeg
    2315D6C7-E8EC-4F84-9D64-1F27A6FE2C9C.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2
Exhibit B

Attachments

• 3A43AA8E-D85E-451F-8A7B-AEF33212A06C.jpeg
    3A43AA8E-D85E-451F-8A7B-AEF33212A06C.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
A month in the primary shouldn't be a problem.

Agree with Rod. Are you sure they were off? It looks like pretty normal residual yeast rather than an infection (depending on yeast strain. I had this with lallemand's verdant strain and the beer turned out lovely)

I’ve tasted the trial jar for both. They don’t taste right. They taste “musky”. I’m getting flashbacks of when I had an infection in my mashtun tap years ago. Which I’m pretty sure was mold of some sort.

I’ve had them in kegs for 3 days and sampled them last night. Taste god awful really over accentuated bitterness but little hop aroma/taste - certainly not what I was expecting with the recipe - both 30IBU bitterness and 150g of hops spread through 10 min / knockout and dry hop.

A month in the primary shouldn't be a problem.

Agree with Rod. Are you sure they were off? It looks like pretty normal residual yeast rather than an infection (depending on yeast strain. I had this with lallemand's verdant strain and the beer turned out lovely)
Yeah I really like that yeast, especially in bitters

I’ve tasted the trial jar for both. They don’t taste right. They taste “musky”. I’m getting flashbacks of when I had an infection in my mashtun tap years ago. Which I’m pretty sure was mold of some sort.

I’ve had them in kegs for 3 days and sampled them last night. Taste god awful really over accentuated bitterness but little hop aroma/taste - certainly not what I was expecting with the recipe - both 30IBU bitterness and 150g of hops spread through 10 min / knockout and dry hop.
Possibly oxidation rather than an infection?

Did your taste the trial jar before fermentation as well? Hopefully that'll help isolate which part of the process is causing problems

No I didn’t tbf.

The oxidation idea might be a good one. I changed the process on this brew. I knocked out the chamber from 22c and left it at ambient which was 5-10c which would have caused a decent amount of suck back of O2 in the 2 weeks. This could also explain the bubbles on the one picture.

It helps to talk through your process.

Thanks!

That sounds like the most logical explanation. All of the comments you made, "musky" and little hop flavour aroma is what I associate with oxidation. Suckback and then 2 weeks seems to be the logical cause

I agree with Agent and Rod the beers do not look infected to me the first pic looks like yeast floating on top and the second loos ok to me too no signs of pellicles etc.
I also agree with Agent that is oxidised as well from the taste you said as you did not say it was bad just musky like a stale beer and oxidised

Latest posts

Back