Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a plus note I have pulled out my tripes and set the 3c to 3c! So that'll be another lot to bottle before Thursday!!
At least I'll have time! But still gotta get a brew on! If I can get the fridge empty it'll be a pilsner with MJ if not or I can get two brews on it'll be a wheat beer as well as.

On a plus note I have pulled out my tripes and set the 3c to 3c! So that'll be another lot to bottle before Thursday!!
At least I'll have time! But still gotta get a brew on! If I can get the fridge empty it'll be a pilsner with MJ if not or I can get two brews on it'll be a wheat beer as well as.

My 3C comes out the fermenter on Thursday too. That’s most likely when I will strip out my current fermentation cabinet and build the new one with twice the capacity. Then I’ll immediately need to get 4 brews on.

Another project update...

I can’t work on the fermentation cabinet yet because it’s in use so that will have to wait a few days.

I can’t progress the cooling system yet because I’m waiting for parts to arrive.

I CAN work on the internal fittings of my brew-shed and did that job today - yay! This is what it looked like before the changes.

FAA790E0-F949-4522-B8A6-C95F69DE12EE.jpeg

At this end of the shed there are three shelves with 6 King Kegs and on the floor I have 9 corny kegs. The problem is that the floor is cramped and I actually have 12 corny kegs.

This is what it looks like now.
027F34EB-04D9-40E0-8081-4D0C5E89C8D3.jpeg

I have 12 corny kegs in here (you can’t see the two at the back in this shot), there are four King Kegs (the two at the back are conditioning), and I now have space for a few bottles too. There are also 4 King Kegs behind me but this will reduce to 2 when I expand my fermentation cabinet.

Sweet Jesus... homebrew heaven 😍

It will be when I get those other jobs done. Three of the corny kegs are empty at the moment because I don’t have enough fermentation capacity. The brew-shed is not coping with cooling at the moment because the heat-exchanger matrix is too compact. Both these issues should be fixed over the next week or so - I hope!

Hi Clint!

I just subbed half the Vienna with Pilsner malt. No change to the hop schedule yet, that’s my next change. If you want to get there ahead of me you’ll need 100g Azzaca. I’ll split it between the hopstand and the dry hop but not yet decided on the ratio.

View attachment 44726
Ah..seem to have found it...from V1,that I originally copied,you've doubled the oats and dropped the caramalt...

A quick update in this thread on project stuff. I noted previously that I need to upgrade the cooling system for my brew-shed because the small PC fans were not producing sufficient air flow through the heat-exchanger. I decided to use a car radiator fan and build a bespoke enclosure for it.

View attachment 47266View attachment 47267

Having fitted it, it turns out I’m getting virtually no more air flow through the heat exchanger despite a massive increase in air flow from this bigger fan. The heat exchanger matrix restricts air-flow to virtually nothing allowing the heat exchanger to get so cold it freezes over.

My next attempt will still use the bigger fan but I’m going to replace the small heat exchanger with a car radiator. Today I’ve sourced and ordered the parts.

I’ll bring you further updates and photos as the project unfolds.
Just a thought (you've probably already done it) is your fan sucking or blowing, through the heat exchange that is :laugh8:? Sucking is best apparently ashock1asad.

To echo @Buffers brewery , I just had a look at my cooling setup which is based on an old all-in-one aircon unit (which can can sometimes be found quite cheap on eBay etc, and if you bypass the thermostat then they happily chill down to below freezing), and the fan definitely does suck the air through the condenser heat exchanger.
I wonder if your car radiator fan is able to cope with the back-pressure generated by the air resistance of the heat exchanger? If not, then a lot of the airflow may simply be flowing back out between the fan blades if you see what I mean.
I noticed that the fans on both 'sides' of my A/C unit use centrifugal (drum-type) fans like this Centrifugal fan - Wikipedia, presumably because they can handle a higher pressure difference... I am guessing that your car radiator fan may be more like the traditional 'propeller' type?

Just a thought (you've probably already done it) is your fan sucking or blowing, through the heat exchange that is :laugh8:? Sucking is best apparently ashock1asad.

It was blowing on the original and with the car fan on the small heat-exchanger but I’m planning on sucking with the car radiator.

To echo @Buffers brewery , I just had a look at my cooling setup which is based on an old all-in-one aircon unit (which can can sometimes be found quite cheap on eBay etc, and if you bypass the thermostat then they happily chill down to below freezing), and the fan definitely does suck the air through the condenser heat exchanger.
I wonder if your car radiator fan is able to cope with the back-pressure generated by the air resistance of the heat exchanger? If not, then a lot of the airflow may simply be flowing back out between the fan blades if you see what I mean.
I noticed that the fans on both 'sides' of my A/C unit use centrifugal (drum-type) fans like this Centrifugal fan - Wikipedia, presumably because they can handle a higher pressure difference... I am guessing that your car radiator fan may be more like the traditional 'propeller' type?

Yes, the back pressure is preventing flow through the heat-exchanger. When I fit the car radiator I’m planning on sucking and hoping to get better flow. I’ll let you know either way. athumb..

Yesterday the fittings arrived for plumbing in my new heat-exchanger (car radiator) so that was today’s job.

It’s a generic radiator for small cars costing £23 and I needed to adapt from the 32mm inlet and outlet pipes to my 3/8” JG fittings and pipe work. Here’s the radiator with the fittings attached.

06DE9683-4CEA-4780-8BE3-CD3F9E2AA631.jpeg

There is a 32mm-19mm silicon elbow attached to the radiator. Into that I’ve fitted a 19mm-12mm pond hose adapter. That’s connected to a 3/8 JG stem connector (1/2” barb) via a length of 1/2” bore silicon tube.

...and fitted. The odd looking pipe attached to the top left corner is the expansion / bleed pipe, now closed off.
AFB72658-E67C-4C3C-9E30-085893541350.jpeg

I have yet to insulate the pipes from the ceiling down but want to give it a soak test first. I also need to refit some guttering to take away the condensation.

Early result are promising with good air-flow (yay!) and very cold air coming out, gave me goosebumps! The temperature started to drop within a couple of minutes. The fan is fitted in suck mode and I’m pretty confident this is the way to go if anyone wants to do something along similar lines.

if anyone wants to do something along similar lines.
😂 It's rather lovely seeing someone who is genuinely inventive and rather brilliant at finding solutions to engineering problems in a home brew setting... I do rather think you might be out there on your own on this one though!

Anna

Latest posts

Back