Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got home from a day at Hastings, not been there for years. Anyway, on the doorstep was my new stout spout- yay!

As promised here are the initial results. My stout is currently carbonated at 8psi

Using the regular spout I get a few bubbles on the surface.
984CE573-9CDA-42BE-B246-348D49722E79.jpeg

The stout spout gives a creamy head
6C094934-7F77-4217-9647-18AA4E5D040F.jpeg

After 5 minutes the head thinned to a light raft over the surface. It then stayed like this for a while.
19ED5FAF-666D-4ABD-B9A0-C798666BF86A.jpeg

Just got home from a day at Hastings, not been there for years. Anyway, on the doorstep was my new stout spout- yay!

As promised here are the initial results. My stout is currently carbonated at 8psi

Using the regular spout I get a few bubbles on the surface.
View attachment 45288

The stout spout gives a creamy head
View attachment 45289
After 5 minutes the head thinned to a light raft over the surface. It then stayed like this for a while.
View attachment 45290
Success, you gonna try it with other styles?

Picked up a couple NA's I have been hearing more good things about them. This one is actually rather good and deceiving it's an NA. I wouldn't mind drinking a few pints of these in a row. it's a bit pricey $11 for a 6 pack.

PXL_20210416_212302627.jpg

Tomorrow I had planned to brew another batch of Summer Breeze but it now looks like we’ll be spending the day in a pub garden. No complaints here ;)

I’ll most likely move tomorrow’s brew to Monday and give my new hop bag a test run. This is for use in the hopstand. I already have a smaller bag which works very well and a large bag that doesn’t because the mesh is so fine it barely lets the water out! My new bag is actually a laundry bag and I will need it for the batch of Summer Breeze after the one I’m brewing Monday. That version (V3) will have more hops and will need the larger hop bag.

Photos to follow on brew-day.

Results from the competition.

I submitted my Belgian Tripel, not placed but received a good score. I did submit a couple of fruit beers but these were just for fun and not serious contenders. They did still manage to achieve 34/50 and 35/50 which isn’t bad for a bit of fun. One was a bit too fruity, the other not fruity enough. 😂

Anyway, the Belgian:
Aroma 8/12
Appearance 2/3
Flavour 16/20
Mouthfeel 4/5
Overall 8/10

The main issues were not enough complexity in the aroma and not enough alcohol flavour.

It’s possible the aroma issue may be a result of the fermentation temperature being a little low perhaps?

The alcohol flavour issue is less clear to me, this is an 8.9% beer and is dry. I do have a 10% version and maybe I should have sent that. ;)

Yesterday I kegged my latest batch of Czech Pilsner. Today I’m brewing another batch of Summer Breeze and giving my new hop bag a test run. I just washed, bleached, rinsed, and sanitised it.

6B588548-4867-44E8-AF8B-4AB3B50489D8.jpeg

A close up to see the mesh size. Hopefully tight enough to hold the lead hops, loose enough for free flowing wort.

C87783D6-D654-4103-8DD0-3DF8CBF348D4.jpeg

Latest posts

Back