Hello from Berlin, Germany

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny H

Reaction score
Hello to all from busy Berlin, Germany!

Have been registered here for quite a while but haven't posted yet. Whilst this is currently not very likely to change, I thought it was polite at least to finally write an introduction.

I have been brewing since early 2013 (only all-grain and bottles, no kits or kegs). I'm German and also based in Germany (thus I mainly post on hobbybrauer.de) but I also lived in the UK (East Midlands and Sheffield) for twelve years so have some links there still.

My favourite beers are simple bottom-fermented lagers (a second fridge for 50€ together with a UT-200 thermostat to enable controlled fermentation was probably one of the best investments in my homebrewing "career"), and I'm also a great fan of brewing by means of decoction.

I'm not sure if I find the time to write a lot here as I'm quite busy with my activities and posting in Germany but I hope to have a look in here from time to time as well.

All the best to all and happy brewing!

PS: If somebody comes over to Berlin (or Germany in general) I can perhaps offer some advice on where to best sample interesting beers, and perhaps also which places to avoid. That certainly applies to Berlin but I'm getting about a bit and have visited quite a few places elsewhere in Germany as well.

Last edited:
Hi Johnny,

Grüße ans dicke B an der Spree.

Bist Du auf Hobbybrauer auch unter Johnny H regestriert?

I'm also registered there. Same name. Got some real serious brewers there.

Cheerio from Coventry UK

Hi GermLish,

Grüße zurück!

Of course - same name on hobbybrauer and here.

Used to live in Loughborough and Nottingham for several years, so not too far from Coventry. Still sometimes miss the UK.

Cheers, Johnny H

Hi Johnny. Love Berlin, my other half is a Berliner, from Spandau. Way out west! It would appear that "craft" brewing is making waves in Germany at the moment with even some of the more traditional Breweries getting in on the action.

Hi Brightonnik,

at long last things are finally moving a bit in Germany, albeit I think it is still limited to the bigger cities. In fact, in Berlin the whole thing has turned into a bit of a hype with seemingly everybody trying to jump on the bandwagon. On the other hand, the environment is still tough for small breweries so who knows where this is heading.

:cheers:

I was in Berlin just the other week and I think at the moment It has just the right balance of the old and the new. Certainly having Brewdog and Stone in the city has shaken things up for sure. I still find it funny that people look at you look a mad man if you want a Berliner weisse without the syrup!

Having Stone here is really good. Due to them being located quite far out (Mariendorf) it's unlikely I'll be there very often. I was at an event there a few months ago and was pretty impressed with their beers, too: well adapted to German palates yet unique and neatly brewed. Their prices are extortionate, though: more than 5€ for 0.3l!

Berliner Weiße is also coming back, fortunately! Amongst quite a few, there is now a collaboration project involving Andy Bogk called Schneeeule since earlier this year, and their output so far has been fantastic! They are working with Brettanomyces, and that makes a huge difference!

Good to hear the Berlin beer scene is on the up as I am moving out there in the spring's I might have to pick your brains on the local home brew scene at some point [emoji3]

Be my guest :)

Earlier this year, some local homebrewers formed an official "Verein" (club/association) called Braufreunde Berlin e.V. (I'm one of the members, too), and the regulars are meeting on a monthly basis (these gatherings are pretty informal and international also - so non-German speakers are more than welcome!). It's a good blend of experienced brewers and beginners, and everybody's welcome.

We are also taking part in festivals when we see fit, and we have already run our first seminar "Off-Flavours in Beer" for a group of twenty people, using a professional off-flavour kit from Siebel Institute in the US.

Also, for the second year running, Berlin Craft Beer has run a Berlin Homebrewing Competition this year. Rory Lawton founded and initiated this, and he's also been very busy putting together the first Berlin Craft Beeer map!

So, lots of contact points there... just get in touch and I'll try to help.

Be my guest :)

Earlier this year, some local homebrewers formed an official "Verein" (club/association) called Braufreunde Berlin e.V. (I'm one of the members, too), and the regulars are meeting on a monthly basis for informal gatherings (these gatherings are pretty informal and international also - so none-German speakers are more than welcome!). It's a good mix of experienced brewers and beginners, and everybody's welcome.

We are also taking part in festivals when we see fit, and we have already run our first seminar "Off-Flavours in Beer" for a group of twenty people, using a professional off-flavour kit from Siebel Institute in the US.

Also, for the second year running, Berlin Craft Beer has run a Berlin Homebrewing Competition this year. Rory Lawton founded and initiated this, and he's also been very busy putting together the first Berlin Craft Beeer map!

So, lots of contact points there... just get in touch and I'll try to help.

Wow that sounds fantastic and I shall be bringing a beer engine or possibly two to ensure that I get my proper British beer whilst over there.

Wow that sounds fantastic and I shall be bringing a beer engine or possibly two to ensure that I get my proper British beer whilst over there.
Please forgive the question: what is a beer engine? A hand pump for casks (I googled the term and that was the first thing that came up)? That would sound very good!

Beer Engine -

BE-A-CO_f_measurements_H_600.jpg

Great, thanks!!

The only bar that I know of in Berlin that's using a handpump at the moment is the Loch Ness Pub (Roonstr., Lichterfelde). They usually have three Scottish Ales on tap and quite a few bottles as well. Moreover, they have a huge selection of whiskeys, the food is nice also, and the chips are done the proper British way (thick cut and served with vinegar)

So that might be worth a visit if one cannot last without British beer or ambiance...

Great, thanks!!

The only bar that I know of in Berlin that's using a handpump at the moment is the Loch Ness Pub (Roonstr., Lichterfelde). They usually have three Scottish Ales on tap and quite a few bottles as well. Moreover, they have a huge selection of whiskeys, the food is nice also, and the chips are done the proper British way (thick cut and served with vinegar)

So that might be worth a visit if one cannot last without British beer or ambiance...

Just took a look at the drinks and food, that is a pretty large whiskey selection!
Love the mix of food too, the fact they do some typical German dishes next to cullen skink, haggis neeps and tatties, cottage pie and Walkers crisps is awesome (proper British salt and vinegar crisps are hard to find in Germany usually).
My wife is from near Leipzig so we will probably look to get a place in the south(ish) of Berlin so hopefully it won't be too much of a trek to the pub.

Oh and yes a beer engine is a hand pump and along with a sankey keg, at about 5 PSI, it should ensure something very very close to a proper cask pint :D

I'm not a whiskey drinker (not any more to be precise) but I know the sheer amount of bottles behind their bar is simply staggering. Loch Ness is quite far out from almost anywhere in Berlin, unfortunately. If the journey there didn't take me over an hour each way they would see me more often than once or twice a year.

Thanks for the explanation re beer engine. I'm still more or less an amateur when it comes to kegs and casks.

Back