Hello!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuggled

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I've been home brewing for roughly two years now, so still quite new to it by the standards of some on here. Really enjoying it as a hobby, and I really love beer so it's all good.
Done all kit brews so far, including half a dozen single can kits, and moved on to two ca all extract kits now. Debating taking the plunge with friends to buy the equipment for all grain brewing!

Thanks.

Debating taking the plunge with friends to buy the equipment for all grain brewing!

Thanks.

You have dangled that bait on our face, you are going to get hit with the full force of persuasion now :lol:.

If you can afford the time and the setup, do it. Much more fulfilling as a hobby but the end results are just that much better..

Agh, I can feel the lure of the AG! Ha, thanks for all your welcomes. A friend and I who are the more serious of our group of mates that brew, most do the odd kit but we do regular brews, are considering buying the Grainfather as its a nice and compact set up. It's about £600 but... It might be possible to get past the missus if I sell it as a 'space saver'. Thanks again all :)

The grain father kinda takes the fun out of it for me! All grain setups can be expensive, but they don't need to be.

I use:

Burco Cygnet 30l manual fill water boiler - £70
Mash tun - bucket in a bucket with a cheap tap - £25
Wort chiller - £35 off ebay
Temp LCD things £2 each (I use 3 in my mash tun and one in my boiler)

My boiler is unmodified, I just scoop the wort after boiling / cooling with a jug and pour it through a stainless kitchen sieve, it helps with getting air into the wort and never have and tap clogging issues!

I'm a big fan of the bucket in a bucket mash tun, very cheap, very easy to make and it works great.

AG setup for me and my brew buddy is around 20 quid.

Just see what you can find/re purpose before you spend money.

Our costs is mostly tap fittings, and bottles of beer kicked back to the guy who donated the copper fittings for the manifold in the mash tun ;-)

Raid all the relatives sheds and skips in the street you can ;-)

Back