HELP - First brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_to_Brew

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've got a three day weekend ahead of me and want to brew my first beer,

I'm a little stuck with a few things mainly being how much ingredients I need, to give some perspective I have a 21 litre stock pot for boiling, 25 litre mash tun and a 20 litre fermenting vessel. How much beer will I be able to produce? I'm I right in thinking around 15 litres or is that too hopeful?

I've made a basket on the malt Miller website, I've taken elements of certain recipes and want to check they will work together and not taste like s***, I have no idea about weight so I've guessed what I'll need, if you think I've got way too much please let me know

4kg of Crisp extra pale maris otter
2kg of Crisp Crystal Malt
1 kg of Flaked wheat
100g Cascade hops
100g Citra hops
1 Whc Juice Machine yeast

I'm going for a fruity citrus IPA, any help here would be great! Don't want to be buying grains I don't need

You need to use a recipe generator, like Brewer's Friend, Brewgr or the Malt Miller's own on the website. This will allow you to input your ingredients and quantities and see the predicted result in terms of OG, bitterness, colour, ABV, etc. These results can be compared to the norm for the particular style you intend to brew, to see how close (or how far away) you are.

Agree, FAR too much crystal as that adds sweet caramel or toffee taste, not good for a juicy IPA. I'd not use any and put in some flaked/rolled oats instead, maybe 500g.

Back