Help forgotten add oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Just brewing neipa and forgot to add my flaked oats to the mashing finished now and just bringing water to boil now could I add them to boil to get the cloudiness I need for neipa and add bit of body or what are option

I thought oats needed to be mashed because they have no diastatic power. So if you chuck em in the boil all they will do is release their starch and you will end up with more cloudiness than you want.
Why not just do a separate minimash with some more pale malt and your oats and then add the liquor to the wort after a short boil.
Others may have better ideas.

Normally just have them in my mash but forgot today to worried about water treatment today was first time doing it and oats slipped my mind could I not just stick them in mesh bag and throw in boil can't see any bad effect I can get from they ain't same as grain so won't take out tannins or anything like that

I thought oats needed to be mashed because they have no diastatic power. So if you chuck em in the boil all they will do is release their starch and you will end up with more cloudiness than you want.
Why not just do a separate minimash with some more pale malt and your oats and then add the liquor to the wort after a short boil.
Others may have better ideas.

Yes I agree with terry here, Oats need to be mashed with grain and not alone I am afaird..

Just brewing neipa and forgot to add my flaked oats to the mashing finished now and just bringing water to boil now could I add them to boil to get the cloudiness I need for neipa and add bit of body or what are option
OK, so what did you decide and how did it go?

If you remain wedded to the idea that oats are an imperative, you could mash them with 1kg of base malt in a large pot with 3L of water, all adjusted to 66C, in the oven on its lowest setting. Having never done a NEIPA myself, I am not sure I really understand the oats thing at all, but if you wanted any more advice on a mini-mash approach, then it is straightforward enough, if a little time consuming.

OK, so what did you decide and how did it go?

If you remain wedded to the idea that oats are an imperative, you could mash them with 1kg of base malt in a large pot with 3L of water, all adjusted to 66C, in the oven on its lowest setting. Having never done a NEIPA myself, I am not sure I really understand the oats thing at all, but if you wanted any more advice on a mini-mash approach, then it is straightforward enough, if a little time consuming.
I just ran some of the Wort in to small container let temperature drop to 66 then added oat to it in a mesh bag left for fourty five minutes then just added in to boil gradually so I didn't effect rolling boil not sure weather it will help with body and cloudiness. But I'm sure it won't hurt just a little disappointed I forgot to add them to mash like normal as I did same recipe couple weeks ago which is to go into keg Friday and wanted do same recipe with the ro water treated to get a side by side comparison but that idea is ruined now sure it will still be a lovely beer probably just look more like ipa but should still have fruity non bitter neipa taste I hope

Last edited by a moderator:
What percentage of oats were there? They'd only need mashing if the sugars were important. If it's for the proteins and haze I'd do what you did, or even make up a little pan with some sugar to make up for the alcohol loss and strain off the juice and add it to the fermenter.

What percentage of oats were there? They'd only need mashing if the sugars were important. If it's for the proteins and haze I'd do what you did, or even make up a little pan with some sugar to make up for the alcohol loss and strain off the juice and add it to the fermenter.
Was 500g was really just for the haze and to
Was just 500g main purpose was to add body and haze was 4.5kg pale malt and 1kg of wheat which will hopefully add enough haze just hoping the body is right for the style specially after doing the water treatment to try and help achieve all this

I just ran some of the Wort in to small container let temperature drop to 66 then added oats to it in a mesh bag, left for forty five minutes, then just added in to boil gradually so I didn't effect rolling boil. Not sure whether it will help with body and cloudiness. But I'm sure it won't hurt just a little disappointed I forgot to add them to mash like normal as I did same recipe couple weeks ago which is to go into keg Friday and wanted do same recipe with the ro water treated to get a side by side comparison but that idea is ruined now sure it will still be a lovely beer probably just look more like ipa but should still have fruity non bitter neipa taste I hope

Commercial breweries need to worry about consistency, not home brewers! Comparing one brew another is fine, I guess, but really, so what? As you add, both these beers will be fine.

I like the solution you came up with. Very imaginative, "on the fly".

Commercial breweries need to worry about consistency, not home brewers! Comparing one brew another is fine, I guess, but really, so what? As you add, both these beers will be fine.

I like the solution you came up with. Very imaginative, "on the fly".
really just wanted the comparison to see would the water treatment really make much of a difference and if it is worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back