Help with all grain set up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in similar position deciding how to step up to brew all grain and was all ready with an all in one ordered but after lengthy shipping delays I cancelled it.
In the meantime I'd picked up an 8 gallon pan on gumtree, with assorted bags and chiller.
It's basic but produces such good beer I've not really thought any more about an all in one.

I tried induction hobs but prefer a gas hob, I don't mind all the pot watching, normally I'll be pottering about doing other stuff with an eye on the clock.

As moto points out, It's a good way to learn the basics before putting a chunk of dough into hardware.
I can see the attraction of being able to set temps and timers though and I expect at some point I'll end up splurging
out on a shiny piece of kit,

Hi Gav, if you are just getting into AG brewing I'd recommend trying stove top first (if possible), or to see if there are any second-hand boilers going on eBay etc. Def worth seeing how you get on before spending a large sum. Myself, I already had a boiler I used for extract brewing I initially used. As this quickly packed up, and stove top was not an option, I decided to go down the BiAB route using a Digiboil. I think the cost was £160 (I think a peco with a temp controller was somewhere around £100-120). The Digiboil gives me more options (volume, 2 heating settings) than the peco. I'm very pleased with my brews (no need for mash tun and putting full water volume required in the mash, so efficient lower than others but working well - all due to lack of space). I'm not planning to upgrade in the future, but you never know if it dies. The system you are looking at is very impressive. I hope you make some good beer whatever your final decision is. 👍
Yea after all the advice a think a will go down a biab been looking into boilers just had it in my head that's what a had to spend to get to the next step the more money a save the more a get to spend on my motorbikes 🤣🤣

Yea after all the advice a think a will go down a biab been looking into boilers just had it in my head that's what a had to spend to get to the next step the more money a save the more a get to spend on my motorbikes 🤣🤣
If you're going the boiler route check out the Buffalo 40l as you'll have no problem doing a full batch boil in this though a few quid more than a Burco Cygnet 30l but well worth it.

My 1st foray into AG I used this with great results..I’m now getting on with a £120 ace boiler (Kleairstan) fitted with a cheap rigged up £17 water pump and a home made wort chiller. Makes great beer.. if I decide to take the plunge and get an expensive all in one system I can use my boiler as a sparge water heater. If uv got the £££ this hobby can cost a fortune,, but I’m from Yorkshire! 🦆💨
B2E0C276-FDC6-4B8E-8C28-C9990D276774.png
DA2299A1-879B-4547-AA94-8486C6FFBA61.png
0CE3DF8F-23CF-4764-A128-C0D9D7BE1742.jpeg

Last edited:
My 1st foray into AG I used this with great results..I’m now getting on with a £120 ace boiler (Kleairstan) fitted with a cheap rigged up £17 water pump and a home made wort chiller. Makes great beer.. if I decide to take the plunge and get an expensive all in one system I can use my boiler as a sparge water heater. If uv got the £££ this hobby can cost a fortune,, but I’m from Yorkshire! 🦆💨View attachment 56587View attachment 56588View attachment 56592
What pump should I be looking for if I was to do a set up like that

I have a really basic setup for AG, that I have improvised with and added to over the years as and when I felt the need to. Started off with a cheap fermenting bucket and a Backer kettle element, and a PID controller with a PT100 drilled into the bucket. Been using this setup since 2012, and it's been great. Added a grain basket a couple of years ago with a hop spider, and then in 2019 my lockdown project was a keezer with kegs. Have looked at all in one setups over the years, but for the cost involved I don't feel there is sufficient benefits over my present setup, so I'll keep using it.

Attachments

• Brew Kettle.jpg
    Brew Kettle.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 28
If you don't have a powerful wok burner forget it. I just about manage on my range cooker...for a 19l batch you will be boiling about 22/23 litres.
Not sure I agree with you, Clint. I have two (dedicated) pots, a 12 L and a 15L. I fill them up and they come to boil quite quickly. the big ring on a cheapo gas hop is about 3.5 KW which is more than an immersion elment in a Burco boiler, for example. I don't think I'd want to be working with anything much bigger and heavier at cooker height. If I want to make a 20 L batch, I just brew overstrength and liquor back- usually to either 15 or 20 litres.

These are the pumps I use (you can get them from UK stockists too for a bit more ££). So far touch wood they have been entirely reliable.
The screw threads are 1/2" BSP, so I use them with braided tap hoses from the DIY barn or JG adaptors.

Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 14.59.51.png

For a 12v power supply I use cheap lighting transformers from these guys - they are excellent.

Screenshot 2021-11-04 at 15.03.17.png

Not sure I agree with you, Clint. I have two (dedicated) pots, a 12 L and a 15L. I fill them up and they come to boil quite quickly. the big ring on a cheapo gas hop is about 3.5 KW which is more than an immersion elment in a Burco boiler, for example. I don't think I'd want to be working with anything much bigger and heavier at cooker height. If I want to make a 20 L batch, I just brew overstrength and liquor back- usually to either 15 or 20 litres.
I should have specified boiling full batch size.

Back