Holiday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

TonyT

Regular.
Joined
Jun 23, 2020
Messages
310
Reaction score
427
Location
Narberth.
Ok just back from Europe with the wee dug. we left in June
Differences
1. need a animal welfare certificate 10 days before you travel (£100 - £150) as opposed to the Pet Passport.
2. need it to be in the language where you enter Europe (In my case Dutch)
3. Checks at Amsterdam took 1 to 2 hours longer
4. To re enter UK need a worming tablet 5 days before re entry (the same)
5. Needs to be done by a vet and new form stamped.

This is where the problem lies. The form (12 pages) was written in English and Dutch. We were in Italy.
The Vet had never seen the form before and spoke a little English. Took 45 min and even then we weren't sure it was stamped in the right place. Bricking it when we got to passport control in Amsterdam.

As the Vet said, "why did your country not keep the pet passport scheme?"
The new system is a total pain in the ti**

Just another thing they never thought about when delivering "The Great Deal". Numpties.

The only way round the red tape is to get your pet registered with a vet in NI or Ireland.

I wonder what you need to do to get dual nationality apart for vote for independence.
I got quoted £180 for an animal health certificate and it’s only valid for 4 months. Apparently you even need one to go to NI now too. We haven’t been to Europe since the system changed and to be honest I’m dreading it because of the issues you’ve identified.

Apparently, although I don’t know if this is true, British authorities will accept a pet passport issued in EU countries but not one issued in the UK. If that’s the case then it’s mad. I don’t know if Irish vets will issue one to someone with a UK address. If they do, then I only live 20 minutes from the ferry and it’ll be worth a day trip to Rosslare.
 

Brianbrewed

Landlord.
Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Messages
883
Reaction score
939
Location
Ireland
I don’t know if Irish vets will issue one to someone with a UK address. If they do, then I only live 20 minutes from the ferry and it’ll be worth a day trip to Rosslare.
I wonder if it is for residents of Northern Ireland. People on the border would regularly avail of services on either side.

Might be worth contacting a vet in the Republic to see if they can help
 

TonyT

Regular.
Joined
Jun 23, 2020
Messages
310
Reaction score
427
Location
Narberth.
I wonder if it is for residents of Northern Ireland. People on the border would regularly avail of services on either side.

Might be worth contacting a vet in the Republic to see if they can help
I agree, it’s only a phone call away. But the issue is getting clarification about what the British authorities will or won’t accept. There is a lot of confusion, even my vet doesn’t know for sure.
 
Joined
Feb 11, 2022
Messages
205
Reaction score
130
Are you having a laugh, @AccoBrew ? I've never seen the slightest bit of dislike, let alone hatred, against the Brits. We're welcomed with open arms here. When brexit happened, it was met with total bewilderment, not malice. Now the French understand it a bit more and they've got to know Boris, they blame the politicians rather than the people. The French, I have to say, have a very healthy distrust of politicians in general. Especially their own.
Of course there is racism in the cities, but it's largely against folk from the African continent rather than fellow Europeans. I haven't read today's press, but I saw no mention of the situation at Dover over the weekend. It's a local event. Unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Unless you're a woman stuck in a car for many hours, of course, and bursting for a wazz. I do worry about that.

France has its quirks and weirdnesses, just like anywhere else. And the beer, by and large, is carp. But Brit-bashing isn't on their hymn sheet.
Yet.
As you live in France you have first hand knowledge so i believe you if that's what the French say to you.
But i still don't understand why out of 9 booths only 4 were open, it's either incompetence or deliberate.
It's well known the French President Emmanuel Macron wants to punish us for leaving.
We were living in Aus at the time of the vote so had no say in it.
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2016
Messages
8,428
Reaction score
5,332
Location
Sleaford - Lincolnshire
I had a feeling you were going to say something like that, I still think you are a remoner.
Of course the people were 100% correct when they voted “Leave”.

They couldn’t possibly change their minds now that they are confronted with the reality of leaving the EU.

If you believe that, you need help!
:hat:
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2016
Messages
8,428
Reaction score
5,332
Location
Sleaford - Lincolnshire
Surely if 'E-passports' and their scanners were used properly there should be no need for people to look at an ink stamp?
I find it hard to believe that they are not linked to a database.

It’s not hard to believe, especially now that the UK is in a “race to the bottom” to be a third-rate country with a third-world economy!
:hat:
 

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
42,098
Reaction score
13,806
Location
Ulverston Cumbria.
Of course the people were 100% correct when they voted “Leave”.

They couldn’t possibly change their minds now that they are confronted with the reality of leaving the EU.

If you believe that, you need help!
:hat:
My post was not aimed at you does he really need you to fight his battles?.

As for the 100% remark where have I discussed the leave voters decision making process, they voted out for many different reasons and it makes no odds some may have changed their minds which is pure speculation, those that voted remain really do need to get over it we are out and are not going back in any time soon however much you bitch about it here.
 

Agentgonzo

Landlord.
Joined
Aug 23, 2021
Messages
789
Reaction score
848
People need to stop complaining about being kicked in the nuts. 52% of people voted to kick the other 48% in the nuts regularly for years to come. Those that voted to not get kicked in the nuts really do need to get over it. We're going to continue kicking you in the nuts and not stop anytime soon however much you bitch about it on here.
 

Brianbrewed

Landlord.
Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Messages
883
Reaction score
939
Location
Ireland
People need to stop complaining about being kicked in the nuts. 52% of people voted to kick the other 48% in the nuts regularly for years to come. Those that voted to not get kicked in the nuts really do need to get over it. We're going to continue kicking you in the nuts and not stop anytime soon however much you bitch about it on here.
Was the vote that close?
52 to 48 percent?
 

Agentgonzo

Landlord.
Joined
Aug 23, 2021
Messages
789
Reaction score
848
This is the "overwhelming majority" and "the will of the people" that took us out.

1659011249447.png
 

Brianbrewed

Landlord.
Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Messages
883
Reaction score
939
Location
Ireland
If fairness 60 percent turnout is decent in a modern democracy.
The result, however is marginal.

Wonder how it is broken down by demographics and regions.

Did the generation brought up watching Dad's Army and reading Dan Dare/Commando comics vote Brexit while younger voted remain?
 

Agentgonzo

Landlord.
Joined
Aug 23, 2021
Messages
789
Reaction score
848
If fairness 60 percent turnout is decent in a modern democracy.
The result, however is marginal.

Wonder how it is broken down by demographics and regions.

Did the generation brought up watching Dad's Army and reading Dan Dare/Commando comics vote Brexit while younger voted remain?
Entirely this. The demographics are hugely skewed.
So those who are affected the most by it (living longest with the consequences) were too young to vote.
The voting age was 18. If it were 16, then the demographics and statistics of how young people voted would have meant the majority would have been for remain.
It took about 3 and a half years to leave. By which time, a lot of young people (mostly remain) were eligible to vote, and a lot of old people (moltly leave) had died and were unable to vote. I forget the numbers, but just in that time period and purely based on the statistics, the vote would have swung from 52:48 in favour of leave to something like 53:47 in favour of remain. And it'll only get more skewed as time goes on - its' something like 55:45 now I think, if not an even greater majority for remain.
That's why everyone is so mad. The younger generations are forced to live with the long-term consequences of a choice from the older generation who won't live with the consequences for very long.
Note there is no under 18 group in the following demographic.

1659012089941.png

1659012547245.png
 
Last edited:

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
42,098
Reaction score
13,806
Location
Ulverston Cumbria.
That's why everyone is so mad. The younger generations are forced to live with the consequences of a choice from the older generation

Maybe in a few years time they will be glad the people that voted out did so non of us have a crystal ball so no one knows what being out will mean In the long term those slating it now may end up with egg on their faces.
 
Last edited:

Brianbrewed

Landlord.
Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Messages
883
Reaction score
939
Location
Ireland
Unlikely. People are still ****** off at Thatcher. I doubt this will go away in our lifetimes.
I'd imagine if there are votes in it, there may be a referendum to rejoin in the future.
Was this version of Brexit the one that was proposed buring the referendum.
Or did Boris do a solo run?
 
Top