Home Brew Forum Competition - October 16

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was one of those mine Dr? If not it's on its way still...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm pretty pleased with that result! Hopefully over time it will get more entries, especially for the double IPA month (which coincidentally happens to be my judging month).

I've finally got around to cataloguing the entries, 11 in total. :thumb:

I have entries from

- @ezraburke
- @Starlitdwar
- @JFB
- @dan125
- @strange-steve
- @Grizzly299
- @jceg316
- @AlanManley
- @TheKitchInn
- @Hoddy
- @Benjamin_B

I'll confirm judging date during the week, just need to confirm with the main judge. :thumb:

Actually feeling a little nervous about the result, and a tad irritated that my original intended entry turned out a bit **** so I had to send a backup (that's my excuse anyway :whistle:).

I'm feeling nervous about judging for some reason! One of the people I had lined up to judge has dropped out so there are now three of us although I'll see if I can rope in a regular to help out.

Have you thought much about your judging style? Paul Hollywood being blunt and making us feel inferior brewers or the much more tactile Mary Berry in pointing out the good points of the beer like "I'm sure it would make a lovely shandy"

I'm planning on being very kind, I can't speak for the others tho! I suspect the guy from the pub to be quite critical but as he's recently started renting a brewery I suspect he'll be a little bit forgiving.

Exciting! And nerve wrecking! But exciting!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Actually feeling a little nervous about the result, and a tad irritated that my original intended entry turned out a bit **** so I had to send a backup (that's my excuse anyway :whistle:).

A bit nervous too... mine turned out quite a lemon IPA and please don't mix in the yeast!

Well I've got a bad head this morning!!!! Some good beers sampled, Paul has provided some good feedback for everyone. I've left the score sheets at the pub so I'll go get them at lunch time and send out results this afternoon, the winner was unanimous (and surprising!) but I won't reveal until I've confirmed the scores. Paul has asked for the recipe for the winner and one of the other entries so they might actually be getting brewed on a commercial scale if the entrants are willing.

The process was really interesting, it was surprising how differently different people perceived the beers. It also opened my eyes to a couple, I wasn't expecting to like the Belgian IPAs based on commercial versions I've tried but I really enjoyed both of them. :thumb:

Anyway, I'm off to get some breakfast to hopefully make me feel better.

The results are in...

In 3rd place, @Grizzly299
In 2nd place, @dan125

And the winner...

@JFB - black IPA - we all agreed this was the pick of the bunch, superb brew, well done. :thumb: If you'd be willing to post the recipe I'd appreciate it as I wanna brew it! :lol: Paul said it was the best black IPA he'd ever tasted which is high praise from a man who tries countless ales!

Well done to everyone who took part, I'll send a feedback form with averaged scores and comments from Paul, the expert judge.

Latest posts

Back