Home Brew Forum Competition - October 16

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Props to all and looking forward to the recipe!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

congrats JFB... I've just registered and I am looking forward to learn, I have a feeling I have a lot to learn from JFB :D

congrats JFB. I've just registered and I am looking forward to learn, I have a feeling I have a lot to learn from JFB :D

Welcome to the forum mate, If you look few down threads you'll see I'm not a great brewer. I just got a little lucky.
Ive only been brewing just over a year but you can learn fast thanks to great advise and help from the peeps on this forum.

Ok first a big thanks to DoctorMick and the other forum members for setting this up.
I'm really pleased with the results as the method of my brewing is very simple and it shows that good beer can be made by all with out tons of kit.

So the recipe is tweaked Greg Hughes black ipa malt bill and my hop bill.
BIAB and no chill(I recently read an article on the web that said you cant no chill IPA's)

23L
pale malt 6k
choc malt .225
roast barley .170

70 min boil
citra 20g FWH
cascade 20g FWH
Apollo 30g @ 50 min
irish moss tspn @15 min
citra 10g in cube @80c
cascade 10g in cube @80c
citra 30g dry hop day 5
cascade 30g dry hop day 5
simcoe 30g dry hop day 5

mashed @ 65c for 50 mins then dunk sparged @74c for 15 mins

OG 1056 FG 1012 5.7 abv

Ferment at 18c with mangrove jacks m44 yeast

The beer was drunk six weeks after bottling which is lucky as early on the roast barley was quite harsh! but seemed to mellow out with the hops as time went on.

Last edited:
also might be worth mentioning that I primed this beer low, I racked 22l into bottling bucket and calculated the usual 5.1g per litre for 20 litres instead of 22 as I thought a few of my beers had been a touch carby recently.

The results are in...

In 3rd place, @Grizzly299
In 2nd place, @dan125

And the winner...

@JFB - black IPA - we all agreed this was the pick of the bunch, superb brew, well done. :thumb:

Congrats JFB:hat:, and ta very much Dr.M.:thumb:
Think I might be giving that black IPA recipe a go.

I'm well chuffed with 2nd place - wasn't sure how the old school IPA would go down, as its not the sort of brew I usually make.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Congrats JFB:hat:, and ta very much Dr.M.:thumb:
Think I might be giving that black IPA recipe a go.

I'm well chuffed with 2nd place - wasn't sure how the old school IPA would go down, as its not the sort of brew I usually make.
:cheers:

Cheers mate, a big congrats to you and grizzly as well:cheers:

Thank you very much, I'm very pleased with 3rd place :) Congratulations to @JFB and @dan125 . Thanks for the feedback. I'll see you for the stouts and porters category!

Not bad for my first IPA. I'll post the recipe here tomorrow, if you would like it in the meantime head over to www.grizzlybrews.co.uk

Back