Homebrew Competition February - Dark Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well February is slipping away from us quickly. 10 people posted with their intention to compete, I've thus far receive entries from 3 of them (who've been notified). Only 3 more days to enter your beers. Good luck all.

Been off the forum for a while but as luck would have it I just brewed a Porter for our Homebrew Club comp so I'll DM you for an address and send one in. [emoji16][emoji482]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sorry my American brown ale turned out very un-American so going to save my £2.55 postage for a better beer and comp style..

Posted mine last week, the other bottle that went at the same time has arrived, hopefully you should have it by now?

Posted mine last week, the other bottle that went at the same time has arrived, hopefully you should have it by now?
My wife said she had a collection ticket for the post depot, I was assuming that would be your beer. I'll confirm once I've spoken to her.

Edit: She has indeed got your beer. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, is it too late to send off something on Monday? Unfortunately only one as the rest went **** up.

I don't have an issue with a late entry but a discussion on the rules thread say it's up to the other participants due to it being a friendly comp with the prize being bragging rights only. :-) Any objections can be PM'd to me if you wish to remain anonymous.

:beer1:@Zephyr259 How many have you got so far and when are you judging? My pants are itching! :fart:

I'll be judging next weekend as I'm working til then, hope you can stand the suspense. :-)

We've got 8 entries from 7 brewers.

ACBEV - Double Brown
Brewer's Droop - Bourbon Dry Stout
IainM - Sweet Stout
WFR42 - Maple Bourbon Porter & An Other Porter (forgot the details off hand)
Dad's Ale - Porter
sdt7618 - RIS
Ciaran 12s - Oatmeal Stout

Thanks for all the interest folks, looks like it'll be a fun afternoon with my in-laws. *hic*

I'm not bothered personally. Can't see me getting too far up the rankings haha.

I meant to ask @Zephyr259, could you let me know what your thoughts are regarding carbonation please. This is an issue I'm having throughout most of my beers of late and would appreciate if someone else also thinks there's an issue with it. Cheers!

I meant to ask @Zephyr259, could you let me know what your thoughts are regarding carbonation please. This is an issue I'm having throughout most of my beers of late and would appreciate if someone else also thinks there's an issue with it. Cheers!

Will do, you did mention it being a concern in you PM. I'll make sure to remember during judging.

Sorry I haven’t made this. I’m not happy that my imperial stout has had quite enough conditioning time yet, I’ll probably enter it next time dark beers tick around. Happy judging and good luck to all who’ve entered. Judging dark beers is quite an undertaking, it gets a lot of entries each time!

Well that was a very enjoyable couple of hours tasting with the in-laws. Thank you to all the entrants.

Congratulations to ACBEV with the winning Double Brown.

WFR42's maple bourbon porter and sdt7618's RIS came joint second.

Third place was Sack Truck Porter by dad's ale.

Seriously close competition with only 8 point between the 4 beers above.

Feedback will follow in the next day or so.

Last edited:
Oh... I am happy... Thank you... The Double Brown was a sort of brew what I got recipe. I'd been looking at 100g of bramling cross leef hops for months, which I bought in error and a 500g bag of Special B that I had little use for. At the time I was reading about Double Brown, a short lived English style, but seemed very similar to modern American Brown Ale. So, I was inspired to delve into my malt bucket for other stuff that would suit.

This is what I was reading...
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/lets-brew-brown-ale.html

This is my recipe...
Double-Brown.jpg

Latest posts

Back