Homemade boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejesmonddingo

Reaction score
I'm going to make one of these,but can't find cheap kettles to get the elements from,they all seem to be cordless now.Can anyone point me at a source please,I've looked at Backer's site,but can't work out what I need.
Ta,Ian

You want the cheap tesco value cordless kettle. The connections inside the body are still the same as a normal kettle. The new ones even have a switch built onto the element which is even better!

That Asda one is cordless,so not easy to fix to a suitable boiler,I can use Google you know,if I had found any suitable kettles I wouldn't be asking.
Ian

I've used the ASDA ones - it was a really easy job fitting them to a plastic bucket. What are you not sure about?

The cordless kettles have the same elements as a normal kettle. The only difference is that the base has slots that pins on the back of the kettle slot into rather than a traditional plug. The normal kettle plug will just push onto the end of the element. I have two in my boiler and they are running fine. All you need is a 38mm hole saw to chop a hole in the boiler and a suitable washer. Some chaps have used silicone baking sheet but I just shoved a 1 1/2" rubber washer behind the one that comes with the kettle.

I used 2 tesco cheap kettles after you strip them down you will see the 3 pins the same as the normal kettles some members havee fitted connectors to the ends of the wire i bought 2 kettle leads instead works fine JUST MAKE SURE THEIR HEAT RATED LEADS NOT PC LEADS OR THEY WILL MELT

Believe me its fairly straight forward if i can do it anyone can when you cut the holes for the elements leave around 75 mm from the bottom of the vessel so theres room to fit hop strainer and you get a good circulation of the wort :thumb:

Yeah I am sure that they will stock them. Just don't forget to disconnect the safety cut out before you use them.

thejesmonddingo said:
now where do I get the leads from,Maplin?
Ian

don't bother with Maplins as they will sell you "kettle leads" that are only rated to 1.3kw when most kettles are 2.2kw and try to tell you they are fine for the job

been there had that discussion :mrgreen:

They are called IEC 13 HC leads .Sometimes the "13" is moved around ,but that is what they are : Isulated Electrical Connector 13amp Heated Condition .Sometimes the "HC" is interpreted as other things along the same lines .The consumer available ones are usually white and they should be available from most home goods/DIY stores or from electrical wholesalers like TLC or componenents factors like RS Components.

If fitted with a plug they may be referred to as something like "13a - IEC (HC)". If you have trouble finding them I will chase it up for you.

er i just got the pliers out and unfolded the crimped on clips on the lead that came with the tesco kettles and with pliers wrapped the flatend clips around each pin on the element i then dropped a little solder on to keep them tight, i fitted a gland to my casing to grip the lead to stop it being yanked. i used 2 small snap lid food containers as the housings drilled the same hole as the barrel in the lid fitted that with the element and snapped the body on after drilling a hole for the gland and a hole for the switch..

watertight and easily inspected visually. i had my doubts about the leads as they seem flimsy but neither has gotten hot after a 90min boil so :) i was advised to plug each lead into a separate socket housing at the mains.

http://flic.kr/p/aDKGZr
aDKGZr

Have a look at You tube for cheap kettle disassemble. Piece of piddle to do, takes about 20 mins. but do not lose the rubber washer as you need this to seal the new boiler.

Also remove the little disk thing as this will cut the element out 20 mins into the boil

Latest posts

Back