Hop Control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On @dave_77 's recommendation I've subscribed to Hop Control, the online hop analysis tool (Not sure that's the right description). It's a bit of an eye opener and on initial testing I think it's going to be useful. In summary you enter your OG, volume and hop schedule and it tells you what the flavour profile will be. You can choose a beer style and it will then show you what the flavours should be like. It does other stuff too.

One thing I thought was missing was some indication of water profile so I asked them the question with my thoughts of what the reason would be and the reply was along the lines of what I thought. They expect you to be using the correct profile for the style and that in terms of flavour (as in the chemicals that make them up) the water profile doesn't really matter. The water profile's impact is on the perception of the flavours not the flavours themselves. Even though I'd suggested that when I asked the question the implications hadn't really struck home. You can adjust the water profile after the beer has been brewed to make it more hoppy or malty. Not sure how this would work out in reality, but maybe after the boil have a taste and think hmmm, too malty and add salts to adjust. Something to think about.

Anyway, I recommend the app and you can get it for just over a quid a month at the moment if you watch the David Heath review on YT.

Interesting, as tastes vary, I will really be interested to see how this goes.

I get the message it is about optimising hoppage, (cost) no necessarily maximising flavour.

That said the modeling and the use of live data* (?) should make a real difference.

Presumably every harvest from every farm should be in the database.

The jury is out.. Is it a powerful recipe builder or a cheaper commercial **** tool?

Last edited:
Yes, it knows about hops from different countries...

Hopcon1.jpg

This is the hop database bit where you can search by country. Or aromatic profile or alpha or beta acid or cohumulone.

I'm going to use it for a few recipes and see how they turn out and report back.

You can use it for free in a restricted demo mode, by the way, if you want to have a look.

Yes, it knows about hops from different countries...

View attachment 98488

This is the hop database bit where you can search by country. Or aromatic profile or alpha or beta acid or cohumulone.

I'm going to use it for a few recipes and see how they turn out and report back.

You can use it for free in a restricted demo mode, by the way, if you want to have a look.
This is good information. If you don’t mind - how many British hops are in the database?

Thanks for the heads up about demo mode.
Do hops have harvest dates... Cos they do vary from crop to crop?

Its not based on crops/harvests its based on published technical data.

You can override the AA when you are doing what they call a 'study' where you are seeing what a hop schedule's flavour profile would be like.

To be more accurate you would need not just year but supplier and batch with a published technical analysis from what I've read in the IPA book I'm reading. The AA, BA etc. can vary from different areas from the same farm which is why us mere mortals get blends. :D

Interesting, as tastes vary, I will really be interested to see how this goes.

I get the message it is about optimising hoppage, (cost) no necessarily maximising flavour.

That said the modeling and the use of live data* (?) should make a real difference.

Presumably every harvest from every farm should be in the database.

The jury is out.. Is it a powerful recipe builder or a cheaper commercial **** tool?

Last one first - I think it is a generally useful tool. I'm guessing (but don't know) that there will be more expensive systems available to the big boys and girls.

I think the opposite of line 2 above. Maybe not maximise flavour but get it closer to what you are trying to acheive.

One thing I've learned almost immediately when I put my latest recipe into it (a mosaic pale) was that there is a difference between IBU and flavour. I had naively thought that if you hit the IBU target then the flavour would follow and must be right too. Wrong. I had the IBU right but the flavour profile it indicated was well below profile. Annoyingly I'm still waiting for this brew to carbonate to test it. Wish I'd kegged some 🫤.

Back