Hop oil question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddo

Reaction score
With 493 pages this question could still be lurking somewhere but......

I'm using hop oils and wanted to know how many A, whole hops and B, hop pellets would be needed to make 1ml of hop oil

This is so i can get a handle on what to use in a recipe, thanks!

My guess is that it is impossible to know and adapt applying your hop oil to recipes. Is there any information on the label and is it meant for brewing?

All hops that brewers use usually come with a percentage of alpha acid on them and it is this that adds the bitterness to beer when boiled in the wort. the alpha acid can vary from 2. something percent for low bitterness european hop varieties such as halletauer all the way up to 19/20% for some super high alpha american varieties. The amount even varies between crops of the same hop variety according to climate and other factors during growth.

My advice would be to buy some hops from an online seller or a homebrew shop where you have something quantified, they're not expensive and most sellers will not charge much postage as they are quite light.

are you making hop oil think it is pretty hard to produce at home?
i have used some PHA® Classic - Citrussy hop extract added to secondary from simply hops
which definitely added aroma and some flavour too
heres the fact sheet on it

http://www.simplyhops.co.uk/var/pdfs/Cl ... -Sheet.pdf
there must be loads of hops used to make it

dosage of 10ml/hl

2ml to 20 litre brew

so if you have 1 ml you probably only have enough for 10 litre o so

"I'm using hop oils and wanted to know how many A, whole hops and B, hop pellets would be needed to make 1ml of hop oil"

This might help: http://www.hopunion.com/uk-admiral/. This site gives you an idea of the total oils of any of the hops listed that can be extracted from 100g of that particular variety. As stated, Admiral will produce from 1.0 - 1.7ml of oil from a 100g sample which will vary from year to year and from the different locations where they're grown. Some varieties produce more and some less, but it's what's contained within the oils that makes each unique. I would think that the same volume of pellets may give a better yield than from cones, but I've been wrong before. Hope this helps in answering your question, if not, have a beer, that's what we do! Hoppy Trails~

Sorry about the second post?

Riddo said:
I'm using hop oils and wanted to know how many A, whole hops and B, hop pellets would be needed to make 1ml of hop oil

Would something like this help: http://www.hopunion.com/uk-admiral/

This site gives the total oil averages of various hops when extracted from 100g of that particular variety. As you can see, the range is pretty broad as some of the newer varieties have been bred for their increased oil content. I would think that 100g of pellets would give a little more oil than the same weight of whole leaf hops, could be wrong though. Hop On~

Latest posts

Back