Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First year with a cascade. Only really two bines showing much life, with a third thinking about it. Happy its growing 2 to 3 inches a day in the Scottish climate !

20210609_095329.jpg

One of mine is up to 18ft growth, the other 12ft. No greenfly...yet. Will keep an eye out for the repulsive little shits

What do you do with the extra bines that sprout out the sides?? View attachment 48797View attachment 48798
I'm not sure it's the done thing. But I encourage them to follow their friends up the bine. I only have space for one string so sideways growth isn't really an option. So far no issues with it, but it is getting a little crowded.

First year with a cascade. Only really two bines showing much life, with a third thinking about it. Happy its growing 2 to 3 inches a day in the Scottish climate !

View attachment 48943

Keep a close eye on that one. I grew my Fuggle and centennial against a wall the first year but the warm, dry atmosphere it created encouraged a severe infestation of red spider mite. By the time I noticed them it was too late.

Keep a close eye on that one. I grew my Fuggle and centennial against a wall the first year but the warm, dry atmosphere it created encouraged a severe infestation of red spider mite. By the time I noticed them it was too late.

Thanks, will do. I've got a fence I can move it to for more horizontal growing next year if need be.

Out of curiosity and for future reference: On average, how many growing tops/vines grow from 1 rhizome?

I'm planning a redesign of my garden and was thinking of planting a couple of different hops. I have enough space and height to let them grow to full height.

Last edited:
Once its established it will put absolutely **** tons. You can keep as many as you like, but if you want it tidy then you can limit it to 3 or 4.

Mine have reached the top of the cord I put up, well over 20ft , so they are falling over themselves and putting out lots of side shoots. Also saw some aphids so have sprayed them, hopefully can control them this year

Also saw some aphids so have sprayed them, hopefully can control them this year

Just as a general comment, the last few weeks have been ideal conditions for aphids, I've been finding them on plants that don't normally get them so it's worth having a look for them and getting ahead of them. Try to avoid using "hard" insecticides on them though given that we're at prime season for bees etc - my honeysuckle is buzzing at the moment! The soap-based ones should be fine for aphids.

Also worth noting the traditional view that the bines (not vines!) reach the top of their string on Midsummer's Day - mine's a long way from that, it still hasn't recovered from me accidentally pruning it last August...

I’ve got 2 new varieties freshly planted this year; early gold and cascade. The early gold is 6ft plus already, cascade is at about 4ft. Not expecting any cones this year, previous plants have not flowered until the second season……but there’s always hope!

Hey all. I've got three plants in the ground, and we'll be moving house soon. Does anyone have advise on moving these things. It is just a case of digging them up and putting them in the ground in the new place?

Hey all. I've got three plants in the ground, and we'll be moving house soon. Does anyone have advise on moving these things. It is just a case of digging them up and putting them in the ground in the new place?
I think ideally you'd lift them whilst dormant, i.e. in the winter. In your shoes I'd probably prune it right back, lift it as late as possible, keep moist in soil in a plastic bag, plant as soon as possible. Not ideal, but what have you got to lose?

Thanks, will do. I've got a fence I can move it to for more horizontal growing next year if need be.

Excellent timing - a few days later and there were some nasty looking black insects crawling all over the fresh leaves. One spraying later with a generic bug treatment and they are gone! Seem to be staying away for now.

(the plant has also, as of today, reached the top of my strings. 2/3 up a first floor window. These things fairly shoot up the wall once they get going.)

This is my cascade 1st year so I don't expect too much, does this look like the start of cones or not

Attachments

• VID_20210725_181109.mp4
    23 MB

Latest posts

Back