hopping mad!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerhammer

Reaction score
Im going to do a coopers unhopped light extract can and would love some advice.I have east kent goldings but do I boil them for an hour and then add the kit?And what amount,someone has said about 50g so wiil go for this unless someone tells me otherwise.Are east kent goldings styrian goldings grown in eastern europe?Also have some mosaic for dry hopping it,anyone used these?Thanks folks.

EKG are goldings grown in East Kent UK only

if they are grown anywhere else in the UK they are just goldings

East Kent Goldings is a variety of Goldings grown in East Kent. Styrian Goldings are a number of hops grown in Slovenia, of which a large part are related to Fuggles (and some, like the super Styrians, apparently to Brewer's Gold). Mosaic is an absolutely wicked American hop. Flavour wise it is like a blend of Cascade, Citra and Simcoe (fruity and piney) which a funky sort of strawberry note.

The way I've worked with liquid extract usually is: add 1/3 to the beginning of the boil with the bittering hops, add flavour hops at 15m from the end of the boil together with the remaining liquid malt extract. Definitively go and add the Mosaic as dry hop, maybe some late on in the boil too. For something light around 3.8%-4.2% depending on the yeast, 3kg of light LME, 40g Goldings at the beginning of the boil, 20g with 15m from the end of the boil. After fermentation is over dry hop with 25g Mosaic. You can always add more hops or malts up to taste.

I typically dry hop kits with 20-50g of freeze dried hops depending on how much hop aroma I want. I add them to the FV or SV in a muslin bag with a metal weight 1 week in and typically they stay in the wort for 5-7 days.
You could also make a hop tea to get some more hoppy flavour but I've not done that.

HTH
RHB

I dry hopped a kit 1 week in and left it in for a further week. I used 50g of EKG and it was great. lovely and hoppy.

I've just tried a hop tea for my latest kit to see if I can tell the difference. Will let you know in about 4 weeks time!

I used a extract lastnight and hop'd it I just put 2 cans of Cooper's wheat extract in the boiler with about 5.5 litre of water and threw in 40 g of hops and at 15m another 14g of flavour hops in. When I get home tonight I'm going to check my airlock and see if it's going.

redhousebrewing said:
" You could also make a hop tea to get some more hoppy flavour but I've not done that. "

It is my experience that the hop teas that I have used have made the ale more bitter but have done little for the flavour and smell. On the latest brew I dry hopped into the conditioning vessel for a week and the difference is remarkable. :clap:
Graham

Same here, hop teas (for me) were a waste of money, only dry hop for 5 x days now (after fermentation finishes and 5 x days before bottling) I use between 25 & 50g ;)

Recently did a coopers ausie ipa and dry hopped it with 50g of cascade after primary fermentation had finished.Left it for a week and bottled.Another week in the warm.Im drinking one now and its so good I cant find the words.A real top drop.

Dry hopping will not introduce any bitterness into a brew nor will a hop tea. The hop AA's have to be isomerised which needs heat and the presence of wort.

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back