Hops that you DONT like...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeyboi

Landlord.
Reaction score
Im currently trying expand my hop knowledge as much as possible. I'm often reading about people's favourite hops and why they like them.

I am drinking my way through the single hop range and m&s and it turns out I'm not keen on Amarillo, it's the first time I've thought ugh no. I've been trying new beers for the last two years now. Which is strange because I like plenty of hops that are normally associated with it, and I'm pretty sure I like in combo with other hops, I will be double checking that now.

So what I want to know is if any of you have a hop or hops that you don't like and your reasons why. Or if anyone has had a similar experience.

Jake

I haven't tried any I've despised, but I'm ambivalent about Sorachi Ace. The whole dill/lemon/cucumber thing seems out of place in a beer. Zeus is another one, a bit too dank for my liking, though in combination with other stuff it's ok.

EDIT: Just saw BeerCat's post. Snap

Have only tried Sorachi Ace in a commercial saison and hated the beer. It was described as having coconut hints, to me it tasted of suntan lotion.

Also unimpressed by mosaic in a smash, but have enjoyed a beer that used it just for bittering.

I tried that thing where you add a few pellets to a bottle of bland lager, re-seal and dry hop in the bottle for a few days - its a good way to taste/smell the differences between varieties.
I found out I don't like Motueka on its own after using it in loads of brews - it has an odd limey flavour

I really don't like EKG. It tastes like someone is fisting leaves, twigs and mud down my throat.

There are a lot of hops out there which don't live up to their description, such as Olicana or Jester. They are very earthy and good in their own way, but the trade description is way off.

OK...please put down the pitchforks...yes, you as well at the back...

I have a confession to make...

I don't get all the fuss about Citra.

There, I said it! No, really...I have tried bottles of Oakham Citra several times as well as the single hop one from M&S and I just don't get any real hop hit or flavour from it. I love Mosaic and Amarillo but Citra...
I don't mind it in beers with a selection of other hops but would be hard pressed to pick out what Citra has added to the beer.

I have even dry hopped a Wilko's Golden Ale with it (my go-to kit for dry hopping) and found it bland.

Whaaaaat. Citra, EKG, Mosaic. I wasn't expecting them on the list. Just goes to show how subjective our tastes are.

in 2015 I did dry January and broke it at my father in law's 60th party on 31st. I made a batch of Citra single hop DIPA, drank far too much and later that night I wasn't so much vomiting, more like expelling satan from my insides. It all tasted like Citra so it's a difficult hop for me to drink.

Dreadful hop. I tried it years ago when it was all the rage ( and very expensive). I'd have been better off licking out the cat's litter tray. When all is said and done and the new kids on the block have been hounded out of town, there'll always be Challenger - the finest hop known to all of human civilisation. It may have gone out of favour for a while as the supernovas of the hop world brightly burn themselves out, sitting sagely and patiently waiting for its time to inevitably, inexorably return.

If we're talking of on it's own, then I'm not a huge fan of Fuggles to be honest. Combined with EKG or Endeavour though, it makes a delicious beer, so I really can't say that I don't like it. I just prefer fruitier hops, like Citra. :p Mosaic is better though, even on it's own. Citra and Belma make a delicious combination too, as I recently discovered...:laugh8:

OK...please put down the pitchforks...yes, you as well at the back...

I have a confession to make...

There, I said it! No, really...I have tried bottles of Oakham Citra several times as well as the single hop one from M&S and I just don't get any real hop hit or flavour from it. I love Mosaic and Amarillo but Citra...
I don't mind it in beers with a selection of other hops but would be hard pressed to pick out what Citra has added to the beer.

I have even dry hopped a Wilko's Golden Ale with it (my go-to kit for dry hopping) and found it bland.

I like Citra but it's been so overdone that I'm taking a long break from brewing with it.

I made a beer with a load of Polaris hops as an experiment once. Never again, the worst hop I've ever tasted.

Even the experts don't agree...

Graham Wheeler in CAMRA's Brew Your own British Real Ale P18
'Goldings and Fuggles are considered to be the finest aroma hops, but they have low yields.'

James Morton in Brew P94
'Fuggles Flavour - Mild Sadness, old men, grass Substitute - Anything else'

I found some tasting notes I made, from a selection of M&S single hop ales that read
'Mosaic Aroma - Sweaty socks'

I have had fuggle hops with EGK and it was okay but I have had them alone in one beer (never brewed this one myself ) and it was a bit like.... Mud?

I will try fuggle again to see if it was that one off or whether i can save money and just dig up the back garden for the flame out edition.

Admiral is a high alpha bittering hop not sure it's suitable as a dry/aroma hop.
I use Admiral as my main bittering hop. It's very reliable and great for that. I chucked 50g of Admiral in with a load of other dry hops. I don't think it ruined the beer but I don't think I will try it again.

Latest posts

Back