House yeasts?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep overbuilding a few strains of yeast continually so I tend to have at least 3 yeasts in the fridge at any time. At the moment I have 1469 West Yorkshire WLP022 Essex and WLP023 Burton on the go. I have only bought 1 yeast in the last year, probably brewed between 25-30 beers it that time, which explodes the myth liquid yeast is more expensive.

The Brewly yeast is intriguing. The default assumption must be that a company like Jästbolaget whose focus was not on brewing, would take a tried-and-tested strain from elsewhere rather than trying to get too clever. The obvious one would be to use the EDME-Boots strain, as sold by Fermentis, Muntons and Lallemand as S-33/Windsor etc -it's known to dry well and give reasonable results in wort.

Well they have for a long time been involved in brewing yeast on a commercial level, they supply about 15% of European wine manufacturers with yeast if I recall correctly, and a fair deal of beer brewers.
I don't know exactly what yeast it is, except it is a really nice yeast. I would suggest anyone interested to give it a try, considering the price compared to the big ones you get a really character full yeast for the money.

I'm pretty certain Brewly is just a minor player. I've previously been in contact with Jästbolaget asking about their beer yeast, I've then been directed towards AEB which was their business partner at this area. And the company they produced yeast on behalf of.

Screenshot_20220204-074419.jpg

Their lineup includes all the Brewly branded yeasts and more.

https://www.aeb-group.com/en/beer/biotechnology/yeasts/main-fermentation
It seems like polish brand Gozdawa also sell the same, Looking at product picture from this brand they differ on when they was released.

gozdawa-original-british-ale-yeast-04-whitebread-obay04.jpg

Their Chico, w34/70 and a couple of others looks the same. All strains very similar to the AEB lineup.

Gozdawa also seem to get some of their yeasts from the same source as Brauwerkstatt e.V. 53773 Hennef

Same AEB lineup can be found here.
https://brewtek.se/en/
Sorry for the derailment. If I was supposed to have just one yeast. It most likely be Verdant.

Currently using a house blend on most things that aren't Belgian in influence. It's 50% MJ Liberty Bell, 25% Safale BE-256 Abbaye and 25% Windsor. It'd likely work quite well for Belgian beers, but prefer a phenolic yeast.

I've enjoyed using WLP028 Edinburgh Ale as a house yeast in the past.

I use Mangrove Jacks M44 more than any other yeast. I brew mostly pale beers and it’s a reliable yeast that ferments quite cleanly.

At just over £2 a sachet it’s cheap and I don’t have to worry about starters and keeping yeast etc.

I would like to try some of the different strains of liquid yeast, but with two kids I’m all about the quick brew days at the moment, and being able to grab a sachet out of the fridge if I squeeze in a brewday is quite convenient.

Similarly to @Sadfield , I'm using a house blend, in my case CML BEòIR (which is essentially Mauribrew draught) and S-33. Gives the nice notes of s-33, but with improved flocculation and attenuation.

Happily, one of CMLs latest yeasts, "House" is the same as S-33 so I will be able to order both from the same supplier.

I'm pretty certain Brewly is just a minor player. I've previously been in contact with Jästbolaget asking about their beer yeast, I've then been directed towards AEB which was their business partner at this area. And the company they produced yeast on behalf of.

View attachment 62376

Their lineup includes all the Brewly branded yeasts and more.

https://www.aeb-group.com/en/beer/biotechnology/yeasts/main-fermentation
It seems like polish brand Gozdawa also sell the same, Looking at product picture from this brand they differ on when they was released.

View attachment 62377
Their Chico, w34/70 and a couple of others looks the same. All strains very similar to the AEB lineup.

Gozdawa also seem to get some of their yeasts from the same source as Brauwerkstatt e.V. 53773 Hennef

Same AEB lineup can be found here.
https://brewtek.se/en/
Sorry for the derailment. If I was supposed to have just one yeast. It most likely be Verdant.
I was thinking that it might be AY3 aswell, but the performance of the Brewly yeast just doesn't add up with the specs and performance I have read about for AY3.
It seems to be a pretty high attenuator wheras Brewly needs some sugar and a 66c mash for an hour to be convinced to attenuate to the mid 70's, a little longer even for something like a Brown Ale where you use a slightly larger part crystal.

Slightly off topic, but in essence to praise Crossmyloof as a company in their range and exceptional service....
Their basic range is in my opinion good but not outstanding, and their Beirm range seems very promising and extensive.

Slightly off topic, but in essence to praise Crossmyloof as a company in their range and exceptional service....
Their basic range is in my opinion good but not outstanding, and their Beirm range seems very promising and extensive.

I’ll second that. Top company. Used them for yeast and hops for a while and more recently I’ve tried one of their all grain kits.
the quality is excellent and the service outstanding.

I was thinking that it might be AY3 aswell, but the performance of the Brewly yeast just doesn't add up with the specs and performance I have read about for AY3.
It seems to be a pretty high attenuator wheras Brewly needs some sugar and a 66c mash for an hour to be convinced to attenuate to the mid 70's, a little longer even for something like a Brown Ale where you use a slightly larger part crystal.

You might be right, but until proven otherwise I believe that attenuation is more technical than realistic. All AEB yeast are super attenuators. I suspect we are about to know because AEB have recently started to list 11g sachets of all theirs yeast, it seems like they are about to enter the homebrew market.
https://www.aeb-group.com/en/fermoale-ay3-5207/115-gr-sachet_73
A Norwegian homebrew store informed me in January that they would start selling a new dried yeast as soon as the homebrew sachets where ready. Probably in February or march. It looks likely this is AEB.

I intrigued to believe the attenuation on the tech sheets are more theoretical than real. It seems like we are soon able to test the AEB yeast. They are about to release 11.5g homebrew packages. Nicely priced.

https://maltmagnus.se/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Aeb+11.5

Back