How do you track your brews?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a little moleskine notebook from their 'passion' series specifically for beer.

It has a nice beery cover

IMG_1316.JPG

Space to make notes on beers that you have tasted

IMG_1314.JPG

a section on homebrewing!
IMG_1315.JPG

I use a simple excel spreadsheet to keep a record of recipes and brews, any notable changes and opinions, along with an ingredient inventory to check if I have everything 'in stock' for an upcoming brew. Seems to work quite well.

Hey everyone. I wanted to briefly come back to this topic, because since starting it a million years ago (err, November - but it feels like it) I have been busy creating a solution for tracking my own brews exactly how I want, and learning a bit of PHP at the same time. I humbly present:

The design has been largely steered by what I think I need at the time, and is an ever evolving thing because I'm only at the beginning of my brewing journey. Until now it's been restricted by IP address since I was only logging brew data for my own consumption, but the more I learn the more I find myself making notes on things I've learnt in general, and if that's even remotely useful to somebody else then I'd be selfish to keep it hidden. Especially since so many people have selflessly helped me get to where I am with this, including but not limited to:
... and everyone else for the constant good-humoured replies to my endless daft questions. 👍🏻

That doesn't look half bad....

When I started with kits, I only used a spreadsheet with name, date, OG, FG, % and remarks (I'm still using this).
I then started doing AG, so I added Beersmith to my inventory as well as additional spreadsheets for inventory and substitutions for ingredients.

In the past I've tried building something in SQL+ (Oracle based), which partially worked, but I lost due to a crashed PC.

Recently I've started building software for my work on a no-code platform called WEM.
So I've been thinking if I can build something like my Oracle db, only using WEM.

I could try and write things down, but my handwriting is horrible, even when I'm sober.
So writing something while brewing or afterwards when I've had a few usually results in something akin to hyroglyphs!aheadbuttaheadbutt

Recently I've started building software for my work on a no-code platform called WEM.
So I've been thinking if I can build something like my Oracle db, only using WEM.

Looks interesting! I have some Oracle in my dim and distant past (think it was i8 or thereabouts) but the thing that convinced me to go the WP route was that I can have it hosted absolutely anywhere - including my own laptop - and it's very easy to move about, back up, sandbox, etc. And I wanted to learn more PHP ... one last trick before this dog gets too old. ;)

Back