How long will my beer keep in a un-refrigerated corny keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made 2 wilko extract kit IPA's which I then dry hopped before kegging in my cornies.
I kegged them on 3rd January with intention of drinking a few while watching the cheltenham festival in March.....however current events have seen me not drinking at the moment but was wondering how long my beers will safely keep in kegs?
Do i just leave them alone...purge....or add pressure every so often?
I dont have fridge for my kegs and store them in the cupboard under the stairs...when i pour a pint I simply add few ice cubes (I know this isnt text book but it works for me and i dont have a problem and it gives me cold beer)...but will storing the kegs in this cupboard as oppossed to a fridge reduce the life of the beer. I really dont want this beer yo waste as both of them have turned out great....look forward to replies ty

Should keep fine, I bottle rather than keg but most beers are pretty stable given good sanitation and avoiding oxidation (kegs are better at that bit then bottles). I've got bottles which are over 3 years old, and the beer is still fine, or better since they are strong beers which benefit from the age, they just tend to be less good as they are my early attempts.

Only issue is that you have a dry hopped IPA, so the hops will start to fade well before the "shelf stability" of the beer becomes an issue.

I'd keep it under pressure from what I've heard but never used a keg myself.

I use kegs for most of my beers these days. I reckon your only problem might be the headspace in the keg. If you purged this well, when you first filled the kegs, then it should keep for ages. The only thing that is likely to make your beer deteriorate quickly is air - or more precisely oxygen. If your headspace is pretty much pure CO2 then it should last many months.
Unless the keg leaks, no need to re-pressurise.

I have a similar question. I have been keeping full purged and carbed kegs in the shed. Since I started kegging last October the shed was at about 1-5 degrees but in a few weeks time it could possibly be 15 odd degrees and then even higher. Is storing at these sort of temperatures an issue?

Im thinking that’s where IPA originated? Indian Pale Ale. Highly hopped ale transported to India using hops to preserve/maintain taste?
Iv got some Stout I bottled 4 years ago that’s been stored in a box in the garage (not through choice) tastes fine the treacle taste has fallen back but very drinkable and fantastic head retention. As Lee said keep cool

Ok, thanks. Mine isn’t sitting around that long wink.... I rotate between 4 kegs with each keg lasting me two to three weeks. So, after kegging and burst carbing they will probably sit in the shed 4-6 weeks then in the kegerator for 2-3 weeks before I get to it so I suppose it should be ok?

Substitute "keep in kegs" for "conditioning at room temperature. There you go athumb... Probably be the best beer you've brewed, when it comes to drinking it.

So dark under the stairs cupboard not the worst place to store them then as I'd imagine the temp would be quite constant........so you reckon under pressure they should last many months?

Last edited:
Back