How Much Sugar To Use In Double IPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beatsy

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to brew my first extract double IPA. I have made the recipe myself but I have a nagging feeling that I have added too much sugar.

Recipe:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/665702/dank-dipa

Basically, I have stipulated that the sugar should be 1kg. Reading up on this, I might be making the base a bit to thin and was thinking of halving to 500g.

Anyone ever used this much sugar with success?

Well Belgian beers use candi sugar up to 30% sometimes. Lots of recipes using 20% sugar like you and no reported badness.

I'm planning on doing a "Not a kit and a Kilo" experiment in a few weeks where I do an all grain but also with a kilo of sugar, like people do with kits. It's to add extra chip damage to the myth about too much sugar making beer cidery.

Yeah, the cider myth is what's got me bugging a bit about it. Be cool to see how yours goes. I've got all my ingredients delivered today..might be panicking as its a shed load of hops to use for something that is cidery lol.

That looks fine. You've a good amount of DME. Lot of the DIPAs I've done have around 8lbs of DME or LME, maybe a bit more on the steeping grains and then the sugar which is variable.

Thanks for looking at it David. I will probably roll with it and see how it goes as-is. cheers

I have frequently added 500g of table sugar to all grain brews and they've turned out fine. I think it depends on whether you've got enough malt in there to give adequate flavour and body.
1 can kits that have you adding 1kg sugar simply don't have enough malt to give adequate body. They're much improved by 1) only making them up to 4 gallons instead of 5, and 2) only adding 500g sugar instead of 1 kg.

Now you have me thinking. I wonder if it may be better swapping 500g of the sugar for more dme.

Double IPA's need simple sugars to help dry them out.

I regularly use simple table sugar in my Cream ales with no ill effect.
I normally shoot for 10%.

I'm just about to make a historic IPA around 6% abv from the Durden Park recipe book. Adjusting to my equipment and batch size it'll use 5Kg of Pale Malt and 1Kg of sugar too. I made this once before a few years ago and it was really nice. As others have said, IPAs need to finish dry and a good amount of sugar helps, particularly if you are using extract and can't use tricks like low mash temperature.

Now you have me thinking. I wonder if it may be better swapping 500g of the sugar for more dme.

The DME will add more body.
A Double IPA still needs to be drinkable at such a high ABV.

I would stick with the simple sugar.

Latest posts

Back