How strong do you like it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything from 3% to 8%. Some batches I intentionally make weak for "school nights", where its fine to quaff 1 or 2, go to bed and get up in the morning bright and early for work. Then some stronger batches for "something for the weekend"!

4 - 4.5% is probably about the average though and what passes as "general purpose"!

My house beer which is a pale ale is standard at 1.065 and finishes at 1.009. My IPA is 1.080 and finishes at 1.010. My double IPA is 1.104 and finishes at 1.018. The wife's dry stout is 1.056 and finishes at 1.010. Her Scottish wee heavy is 1.110 and finishes at 1.020. We do some session beers in the summer time, but they are usually just the second runnings of a stout or Scottish wee heavy. I have my Belgian wit recipe that is 1.050 starting, but that's about as low as we go.

I haven't been brewing long enough to have a good grasp to aim for particular strengths. However I **** like a racehorse when I start going, so I prefer to drink less otherwise I'm always going, annoying during footie (up the blues).

Wine I drink 13%+. Beers are preferred at above 7%. Anything below 5% isn't strong enough to make Football entertaining, or make me crave curry for that matter.

Not tried any homebrew yet but got one at 8% and one about 4.3% Shop bought then 5-7% is my preference. 6.6 seems to rock (Leffe and Peroni Gran Reservia).

LeffeFan said:
Not tried any homebrew yet but got one at 8% and one about 4.3% Shop bought then 5-7% is my preference. 6.6 seems to rock (Leffe and Peroni Gran Reservia).

Strong stuff, how many of them can you manage then? :wha:

I prefer to be able to glug a few rather than be puggled after three or four :lol:

Well I'm more of a 5% ish kinda guy. I've made a few tc recently and I'm debating adding some extra sugar to it to up it a little. Just finished a chocolate stout which is 6.4% can't wait to get it bottled and try it.

Cumbland brandy is about 17% Which is pretty tasty

I'd love to make a strong barley wine but I'm a kit man at the minute if anyone knows any good ones

simonkidder said:
Well I'm more of a 5% ish kinda guy. I've made a few tc recently and I'm debating adding some extra sugar to it to up it a little. Just finished a chocolate stout which is 6.4% can't wait to get it bottled and try it.

Cumbland brandy is about 17% Which is pretty tasty

I'd love to make a strong barley wine but I'm a kit man at the minute if anyone knows any good ones

Cumberland Brandy :hmm:

Sounds class that :thumb: Got a recipe Simon?

:cheers:

Mine usually come out around 5-6% though I'm now making an effort to brew them a bit weaker so I can drink more.... or is that drink the same amount but not fall over?

I am fond of the stronger Belgian ales, so 8-10% of a nice Belgian is fine by me. But as a session beer, around 5% will be my aim. 4% beers are ok, but normally find don't have as nice a body to them (altho there are some good rule breakers to that)

4.5%-5.5% is fine for me. Lighter beers for summer.OP and Gales mild for the colder months.Mind you it's nice to have a bottle of tripel knocking around for when I can't sleep.

Old stout if you view my posts I did post a Cumberland brandy recipe. It was given to me buy the happy hop Homebrew shop at burnley. Im a total novice. Tried to explain the best I can but if you have any questions I just pm me and I'll do my best

simonkidder said:
Old stout if you view my posts I did post a Cumberland brandy recipe. It was given to me buy the happy hop Homebrew shop at burnley. Im a total novice. Tried to explain the best I can but if you have any questions I just pm me and I'll do my best

Got it cheers :thumb:

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back