How strong do you like it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstout

Landlord.
Reaction score
Interesting to see that some folks will brew beers and lagers up to 8-9% and beyond :shock:

I personally could not drink stuff that strong, and 5-5.5% will always be around my maximum ABV so that I can have quite a few pints :cool: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

My wine is usually 11-13% , but I did a Rose for the summer deliberately lower for sunny daytime drinking :cool:

How do you like yours :wha: and if you are one of those that brew the strong stuff, how many pints can you manage :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheers:

I do like the 10-12% Imperial stouts and Old Ales, but rarely have more that 1/2 a pint in any one go.

I also like the other end of the scale at 3.0-3.5%, which can be quite a challenge to brew a tasty beer at that gravity . . . Can have quite a few pints at that strength :D

Normally I go for around 4.5 to 5% and will have a couple of pints

I like my pilseners strong (my only gripe with the Better Brew one - there's more malt going into a future batch), maybe around 6 - 6.5%.

Other beer? Well it all depends on the style really. Belgians want a bit of kick really, IPAs can handle a bit more... Bitters are nice anywhere from three and a half upwards.

Stouts? Got to be one or the other. A nice sub-four session stout or a real humdinger of a RIS.

Ever since I once got ever so slightly squiffy by accident (assumed it was "just another over-ice cider") drinking Green Goblin I've liked my ciders strong too!

Going to get some real potent stuff on for the winter shortly - brewferm's belgians mostly, maybe a "from kits" RIS like the one on the coopers site and probably a beefed up ruby ale, something hobgoblin-esque...

...but not before some quick lagers to see me through the summer! :drink:

I like it around 4.2-4.8% for my house ales. I brew big for special occasions though. I have a 14.2% barley wine that I only serve in wine glasses (pouring a full pint is just asking for trouble). A wine glass of that before bed is perfect. In fact, it doesn't matter what time of day it is. After a glass of that, it's bed time. At that strength though, I don't really see it as "beer" anymore. It's more like a specialty drink that's made like beer.

Pinck said:
A wine glass of that before bed is perfect. In fact, it doesn't matter what time of day it is. After a glass of that, it's bed time.
:rofl:

That would be right up my street that would. I'm definitely partial to high ABV beers. I've also been known to enjoy a kip...

5-6% for my bitters and stouts etc but 8.5+ % for barley wine and my elderberry stout.

All the beers I make are between 3-6% so I can have a few in the evening and not feel like I've been hit over the head by a bat the next morning.

4-5% maybe 5.5. Did one over 6 a little while back and really enjoyed it, should do more, keep promising myself I will do the Sarah Hughes dark ruby some day soon.

4.5 - 6.5 % for my ales. Did a xmas ale a while back that was 6.7%, managed about 6 pints of that :drunk:

my house ale, Dronfield Best bitter is bang on 4.6%, Dronfield Pale 5%, Dronfield Full Nelson 5.1%.

I have done some strong stuff though but find it difficult to get the balance of hops bitterness and malts right over 6%

robbarwell said:
my house ale, Dronfield Best bitter is bang on 4.6%, Dronfield Pale 5%, Dronfield Full Nelson 5.1%.

I have done some strong stuff though but find it difficult to get the balance of hops bitterness and malts right over 6%

Good replies folks, and some strong brew drinkers amongst us :party:

I personally like between 4 to 6 pints of my lower stuff (usually around me chimenea - see me other thread :D ) that does me fine, I can't imagine being able to drink many barley wines :drunk: :drunk: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep them coming :drink:

:cheers:

While not an every day beer I like to have a stout in bottles somewhere 5%+ and some Belgian Tripel 6%+ hanging around. On draught 3.8-5% is pretty standard.

My beers range from around 3.8% for Wherry, 4.5% for Coopers Lager and 8% for ciders and Brewferm specials.

I recently drank one 500ml bottle of my Brewferm Diablo after sunday lunch and it knocked me out :cheers:

SE10PAT said:
My beers range from around 3.8% for Wherry, 4.5% for Coopers Lager and 8% for ciders and Brewferm specials.

I recently drank one 500ml bottle of my Brewferm Diablo after sunday lunch and it knocked me out :cheers:

At 8% :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I bet you eventually woke in time for the Antiques Roadshow!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I like stronger beers for autumn and winter. It's perfect time for bocks, belgians and other strong ales. For daily intake 5.6% abv is enough. ;)

Normally 4.5-6%.
But I do like a pint or six of Skull Splitter or Old Tom. :nono:

I don't tend to drink much these days, 2 is normal and 4-6 is my limit normally, but a few years ago (ok 20 ish :wha: ) I was known to sup up to 15 in an evenings drinking of Spitfire. And I started drinking bottles of Traqualr Ale (bout 9%) and it never seemed to bother me drinking several of them :grin:

:drink: :drink:

hairybiker said:
Normally 4.5-6%.
But I do like a pint or six of Skull Splitter or Old Tom. :nono:

I don't tend to drink much these days, 2 is normal and 4-6 is my limit normally, but a few years ago (ok 20 ish :wha: ) I was known to sup up to 15 in an evenings drinking of Spitfire. And I started drinking bottles of Traqualr Ale (bout 9%) and it never seemed to bother me drinking several of them :grin:

:drink: :drink:

Despite all that you come across really well on those cookery shows, and you don't even wobble on your motorbike, are you Si or Dave?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
;)

Latest posts

Back