Imperial Yeast - forum member reviews.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this today, using A18 Joystick ( thanks, Geterbrewed ):-

Pale Malt 5 Kg
Crystal 150 EBC 400 g

Warrior Hops 24g @ 60 mins
Cascade Hops 30g @ 10 mins
Cascade Hops 50g @ steep
Cascade Hops 45g @ dry hop

OG 1.053 FG 1.013 ABV 5.1% EBU 51

Currently tucked up in the brew fridge @ 18c.

@Get_Er_Brewed - I went to add a review on your website, but the House strain I got isn't on there (there's a picture of it on the Barbarian strain page though)

Although not sourced from Get-er-brewed I have used the Monastic yeast with my latest beer. Definitely a slow starter with 36 hours of total inactivity (was getting worried and had emergency sachet of dried yeast ready to go) the within an hour off it went like a rocket.
Very interested to see how this turns out as first Abbey beer and first time using honey and hopefully some bourbon barrel chips that are soaking in JD honey. All fingers crossed....:)

Moved mine to cold crash this morning. Final Gravity of 1.008, so an 82% attenuation which is more than I expected. Sample tastes fantastic, citrus flavours really coming through. Great job so far.

Although not sourced from Get-er-brewed I have used the Monastic yeast with my latest beer. Definitely a slow starter with 36 hours of total inactivity (was getting worried and had emergency sachet of dried yeast ready to go) the within an hour off it went like a rocket.
Very interested to see how this turns out as first Abbey beer and first time using honey and hopefully some bourbon barrel chips that are soaking in JD honey. All fingers crossed....:)
Well from 1062 to 1006 in three days is quite impressive. Loads of banana and bubblegum phenols fermented at 23c. Very impressed

I have written up a review on GEB website as promised. A very positive one but it doesn't appear to be getting published.

Their website is a total ballache to add reviews to. There seems to be two different review systems on it. I've left reviews before and had nothing but problems.

I brewed this today, using A18 Joystick ( thanks, Geterbrewed ):-

Pale Malt 5 Kg
Crystal 150 EBC 400 g

Warrior Hops 24g @ 60 mins
Cascade Hops 30g @ 10 mins
Cascade Hops 50g @ steep
Cascade Hops 45g @ dry hop

OG 1.053 FG 1.013 ABV 5.1% EBU 51

Currently tucked up in the brew fridge @ 18c.
The Joystick is the best yeast to date I have used on my Best Bitter, and the clarity is superior to anything I have ever used before. Hope you have a blow off tube as its explosive.

I brewed a Tripel with the Workhorse yeast, took around 4 days to bring 20 litres of 1.085 wort down to 1.013.

I left it for 2 weeks then crashed and bottled. Sample tasted very promising if a little harsh, but I'm sure this will mellow out with conditioning. I'll do a full review on the GEB site in a few weeks when I pop one open ( I know it'll take longer than that to reach its best but I'm very impatient :laugh8:)

Just a quick review of the 'SNPA-ish' beer I made with the 'Joystick' yeast. I bottled this on the 24/10, so I thought it was about time I had a sample, or two. Beer pours nice and clear ( I don't use any finings besides protafloc ), with a sweet malt and Cascade aroma. The flavour follows the aroma, and the 10% Crystal malt has certainly given it some body. No yeasty off-flavours, but the tiniest hint maybe that the beer is still a touch 'green'.

Thanks to GEB for the yeast. I top cropped some which I'll be using in a variety of styles.

Joystick is the Pacman strain (Pacman / Joystick - geddit?) from Rogue Brewery in Newport, Oregon. Nice to see this one available permanently because the Wyeast equivalent (1764) is only a seasonal release. It's reputed to ferment very cleanly, which makes sense since it's supposed to be a mutation of the same Ballantine strain that also gave rise to WLP001, Wyeast 1056 and S-05.

Over the weekend I bottled my batch made with Juice. Out the barrel it tastes great. A very clean beer with a good balance of malt and hops, and the fruitiness of the yeast comes through nicely. Once it's ready to drink I'll leave a proper review on the website, but so far I'm impressed.

Cracked a bottle open last night and it's still very good. Really clean yeast (Juice) and definitely one of my better beers. I ended up having a few. I've left a review, just waiting for it to get published.

The Juice yeast is doing my head in.
Still fermenting after 11 days.
400g of Citra, El Dorado and Mosaic floating on top and won't drop due to yeast still in suspension.
Have to crash tomorrow

The Juice yeast is doing my head in.
Still fermenting after 11 days.
400g of Citra, El Dorado and Mosaic floating on top and won't drop due to yeast still in suspension.
Have to crash tomorrow
Why do you have to crash? Surely if it's still fermenting you need to let it finish...

Dont want to kill the hops. Too long = grassy
London ale & Vermont usually 4 days max

Last edited:
Have you considered taking it off the hops and transferring to a new bucket?

Latest posts

Back