Is there need for a thermobox with Herms?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclops

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is there any need to have an insulated mash tun if you are using Herms? I know the Herms might need to work a little harder to keep the temp but surely the mash is being kept constant with the Herms anyway so why have an insulated tun? I am thinking of going shiny and it would knock £50 off my build if I did.

Not really as the mash temp is kept stable by the heat exchanger but it will help as the wort is kept more stable temp by the thermo we monitor the wort from the mash tun and its only half a degree below 66 which can be adjusted with a pid

Constant temperature of the mash + you can do different mash temps throughout the mash, can't remember how to spell it so haven't bothered saying the word. Lol

we found that the efficiency went up loads when we did our first herms brew. We were using that bairds malt too which some have said is ****. Our OG was supposed to be 1.050 it ended up at 1.062 so had to back liquor a bit.

Latest posts

Back