Is there such a thing as a tasty low alcohol beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malcolm K

Reaction score
My wife likes to drink low alcohol lager-type beer - the kind of stuff that supermarkets sell as French bierre, or something like Rolling Rock - around 2.5% alcohol. I like beers that actually taste of something, my current favourite kit being Woodforde Wherry. Does anyone know of a recipe or a kit that delivers a proper beer that is less than 3%? Would it work if I killed the yeast at the appropriate FG, or would I just end up with a gooey sweet mess? Any ideas or pointers to past discussions most welcome.

Brewdog Dead Pony Club is excellent, maybe try a clone of that.
Adnams (solestar) & Kernel (table beer) both brew lower alcohol beers, the Kernel is particularly good.

Malcolm K said:
Is there such a thing as a tasty low alcohol beer?
I've not found one yet.
Would it work if I killed the yeast at the appropriate FG?
Sounds like a bad idea. You'd need to use less fermentables to start with and let it ferment out rather than stop it early. I'm sure it can be done but I've never tried it.

Brewdog Dead Pony Club is excellent

Agreed :drunk:

Like Jonnymorris says killing the yeast is a bad idea.

What kind of brewing are you doing, kit, extract, AG? It would eb easier to work out if you were AG but I am sure we could find a solution with extract or kit. The issues with low alcohol beers is that they lack body. with AG you up the mash temp to solve this problem. For kit or extract possible solutions would eb to dilute the kit to desired gravity then you would be best to probably add some steeped grains (crystal or something depending on the style) as well as some hops as you have diluted the flavour. The steeped grains will add some of the body back but you will probably need to go with some maltodextrin as well. I could not tell you amounts but it would require soem experimentation :thumb:

Latest posts

Back