Juicer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzor114

Reaction score
I have considered purchasing a juicer with a pulp removing facility to maximise the flavour, is this a good idea for wine making or does it have any disadvantages? I was told not to use a smoothie maker because the wine will not clear, this was from my local brewing shop.
Do you have any suggestions on the a manufacture and model of juicer from your experience and what fruit or vegetables not to place in it?

I've made wine from shop bought smoothies (on price reductions) and they have cleared just fine but thrown heavy sediments.

Juice extractors - great if you want a glass to drink, feckin' useless if you want any volume for winemaking.

Try freezing and pressing, or I've heard that steamers can be very good but I've never used one myself.

No, we've got a smoothie maker, but it's one of those things which gets used twice and put away in a cupboard.

Daughter gets it out just occasionally but never cleans the damned thing after she's used it - muggins gets that job :twisted:

Ferment on the pulp for a few days and invest a few quid in a decent nylon straining bag.

Depends on the fruit. I got a whole fruit juice extractor for doing apples and it was very good. I then pressed the pulp to maximise the juice and the total juice extraction was around 75%. Not suitable for grapes, peaches, apricots, plums, sloes, cherries etc., unless you remove the stones.

I have one that throws the pulp into a container and the pulp is almost bone dry, but what if I fermented on the pulp literally, as well as using the juice? Might be worth investigating :hmm:

The whole point of fermenting the pulp is to extract the juice, which is the job of the juicer. However, you can add sugar and water to the dry pulp to make a lighter brew.

i can whole heartedly suggest buy a steamer, i went the whole hog and brought one from sweden because british shops dont carry the stainless steel version i wanted, i love the internet,

any way ever since i have owned it , never has elderberry and other fruits tasted so good

Latest posts

Back