June Bonus Brew and Swap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Caramel Ox @SMP Brewery Thanks for the kind comments.
My Wit was brewed from GH, I’ll post the BrewFather file when I get back from my hols, but yes it does contain orange peel 👏. It was bottled off a keg which does hit carbonation level slightly and possibly head retention as well. On the keg pours it was respectable enough. I’m pleased to report that the darker colour is the brew itself and not oxidation! (here’s my post from a couple of weeks back)
Post in thread 'What are you drinking tonight 2023.'
What are you drinking tonight 2023.

If anyone fancies a wit to bitter swap I'm open for it?
I'll see what my stocks are when I get back in a few days. I don't like sending glass through the mail so may need to transfer to a PET bottle and see how it works. But in principal, I'm in

My Wit was also Greg Hughes as with almost everything I make. Extra pale wheat and MO, the curaçao and whole coriander went in the hop spider where I think they contributed very little. The dry yeast substitute was wb06 which I think is a potential pitfall as it seems to munch through all other flavour components. I messed up and bottled before being 100% sure it was finished and only learned what diastatic meant afterwards.

Since then I have avoided any similar yeast I am just not sure how much of an issue it is with normal levels of cleaning.

the curaçao and whole coriander went in the hop spider where I think they contributed very little
I have similar feelings. I've done witbiers without the orange peel and coriander before and I can't tell the difference. But to be fair, the batches were months apart and so not a fair trial. I crush my coriander and generally just save orange peel from oranges we have anyway and keep in the freezer so it doesn't cost me anything to add it.

My 3rd and final Wit is from @Caramel Ox I have to say I have really enjoyed these brew and swaps 👍

Opened with a nice hiss and poured with good carbonation and a foamy white head.

On first taste this is much drier than the other two with a pronounced spicy flavour, I definitely get an orange flavour the more it warms up a tad that compliments the wheat.

Another well packeted bottle that puts me to shame.

Again another beer that hasn’t stopped in the glass long 🍻

Interesting that all three are GH recipes and all three are different. I’ll brew this again but it does need to be drunk fresh as mine is now not the same beer it was, and I’ll chane my additions.

Thanks again @Alastair70 for organising.

EEA2F98B-2B85-4019-B796-78A34C44C21D.jpeg

Mine wasn't a GH recipe, but most witbier recipes are pretty similar so I'm not surprised it is very close to a GH one.

First bitter of the swap is @Hazelwood Brewery, little hiss on opening, thin head which lingers. Might have poured this a bit cold, as such aroma restrained, but a hint of dark sugar. Taste, can't place the hops but are familiar, zesty citrus and caramel flavour, really well balanced. This is a lovely light bitter that I could imagine you drinking 5 or 6 of without really knowing it. A fine effort, thank you!

20230715_185421.jpg

First bitter of the swap is @Hazelwood Brewery, little hiss on opening, thin head which lingers. Might have poured this a bit cold, as such aroma restrained, but a hint of dark sugar. Taste, can't place the hops but are familiar, zesty citrus and caramel flavour, really well balanced. This is a lovely light bitter that I could imagine you drinking 5 or 6 of without really knowing it. A fine effort, thank you!

View attachment 87911
Thanks Pilgrim, I often do drink 5 or 6! 😂

Hops are Centennial for bittering and Fuggles/EKG as late additions.

After a couple of weeks away on holiday, it's time to get back to business.

First of the ones for me to try was the witbier from @Caramel Ox .

Nice high carbonation, and a big head that dissipated fairly quickly but with the carbonation remaining until the bottom of the glass. 4.5% is in the perfect range for a refreshing summer beer, which this most definitely was.

Aroma was fresh with the smell of orange or lemon rind coming though.

Slightly darker than I was expecting and a nice moderately dry taste with a nice full flavour. After the initial taste, a wave of full intense spiciness came though (clove flavours? I suck at naming sensations) that lasted a full 15-20 seconds and then faded away with just a slight hoppy bitterness at the end. Just in time to remind you to go back for another sip.

This didn't last long and both my wife and I had to consciously slow down so it didn't vanish too quickly - which is always the sign of a good beer!

Well done (and a stylish label to boot)! 🍻
PXL_20230719_164115406.jpg

My first bitter is from @Stu's Brews and it looks a cracker.

The pour was well behaved, the beer is clear, and is a beautiful chestnut colour. The off-white head formed well during the pour and then subsided to a thin film of foam which was maintained through the pint by the carbonation which is higher than my own bitter but is similar to most bottled bitters.
819BB3F0-02D8-45FD-87E9-368E1622526A.jpeg

The aroma is a heady mix of toffee, white bread crust, a little red apple (maybe from yeast derived esters?) and some subtle floral notes along with a little nuttiness.

The flavour is similar to the aroma along with a medium-high bitterness and a nice dry finish. The beer has good body, is well balanced, and there are no obvious faults or off-flavours.

Thanks very much Stu, a lovely beer. 👍

Latest posts

Back