June Competition - Dark Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok boys, the results are in. Sorry for the extended wait.

In joint second place with a score of 38/50 is...

Well done @pilgrimhudd , and thank you @phildo79 for the judging (and waiting for mine to arrive!). Some very high scores there!

I'm genuinely chuffed with that result 😁 - it's only the second time I've entered a competition. Looking forward to hearing the feedback. I'm on holiday at the moment, but will post the recipe if there is some downtime, or next week when I get home

Well done @pilgrimhudd , and thank you @phildo79 for the judging (and waiting for mine to arrive!). Some very high scores there!

I'm genuinely chuffed with that result 😁 - it's only the second time I've entered a competition. Looking forward to hearing the feedback. I'm on holiday at the moment, but will post the recipe if there is some downtime, or next week when I get home
Loved your beer, mate. Was enjoying it as I typed up the winners. I am definitely interested in seeing the recipe.

Here's my recipe.

I had some issues with attenuation and it finished at 1.019 rather than the target FG, so had a lower abv than intended.

I think the yeast had a chew on the residual sugar in the bottle (primed with only a little sugar, but way over carbed in the end) which means it might have been slightly higher then the 4.4% stated.

Ignore the "Scottish export ale" - it was a porter

Attachments

• Caldera.pdf
    863.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Shreddies are an interesting touch. I see you used S-04. I am a little surprised it didn't reach its target FG. Ten days at 20c should have been about twice as long as that yeast needed.

Shreddies are easier to get hold of than torrified wheat 😂. I've used shredded wheat before, but then I have to eat my way through a box of shredded wheat. I prefer shreddies, and given the small quantity, the additional sugar and salt doesn't harm the beer.

Yeah. I've been having attenuation issues recently. Quite a few beers bottom out at 1.020. three different yeasts so far in the last 6 months. S-04, MJ M20 and liberty bell. Mash temperature is controlled by the grainfather and verified with an additional probe, so it's not the temperature causing it.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to affect the taste or mouthfeel of the beer.

Shreddies are easier to get hold of than torrified wheat 😂. I've used shredded wheat before, but then I have to eat my way through a box of shredded wheat. I prefer shreddies, and given the small quantity, the additional sugar and salt doesn't harm the beer.

Yeah. I've been having attenuation issues recently. Quite a few beers bottom out at 1.020. three different yeasts so far in the last 6 months. S-04, MJ M20 and liberty bell. Mash temperature is controlled by the grainfather and verified with an additional probe, so it's not the temperature causing it.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to affect the taste or mouthfeel of the beer.
I've currently got a Porter on the go yesterday with Liberty Bell that has stalled at just under 1020. I'm going to give it a rouse and a bit longer but hasn't budged between Day 8 and Day 10. It was 20L and I only used one pack, wondering if 2 would have been better...

I've currently got a Porter on the go yesterday with Liberty Bell that has stalled at just under 1020. I'm going to give it a rouse and a bit longer but hasn't budged between Day 8 and Day 10. It was 20L and I only used one pack, wondering if 2 would have been better...
From all of what I have read and heard, one sachet should be enough. And it shouldn't need any special rehydration etc. I can't figure out why some of my brews stall.

I'm going to do another one in a few weeks, so who knows what this one will do!

From all of what I have read and heard, one sachet should be enough. And it shouldn't need any special rehydration etc. I can't figure out why some of my brews stall.

I'm going to do another one in a few weeks, so who knows what this one will do!
In fact, the last brew I did I had a sachet of M15, and then read it was a high finisher, so I doubled up with a sachet of liberty bell as well... It still finished at 1.020. 🤷‍♂️

Oooh my Recipe...

3.2kg Otter
600g Munich
500g Crystal 60l
200g Roast Barley
300g Choc Rye Malt
100g Black
100g Special B (I was just using this up)
300g Oats (Flaked)

20g Chinook @60
10g Chinook @25
20g Cascade @10
16g Centennial @10

Whirlpool @80c for 20 mins
20g Chinook
32g Centennial
7g Cascade

Yeast US05

Beersmith said I was going to get an OG of 1060, I was expecting 1055 but came well short at 1048.

IBU 60

Latest posts

Back