Just wrong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked hard at that idea, but trying to keep it simple. Often found time saving comes in the form of not moving stuff and minimising washing up. I once bought a huge stainless grape destemmer. Fantastic at what it did. Complete tw@t to clean, left me with mental scars šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Filling is what I think takes the time, so I am looking to get that down to 5 seconds per bottle with both hands and a pump.
I knocked quite a bit of time off by not messing about moving bottles about. I used to grab a bottle, fill it while grabbing the next bottle, then place the cap on carefully, move it back while filling the other etc. etc. I now have them in a box and just move the filler to each one in turn and do all the caps at once.

Adding the sugar still takes more time than I'd like. I've looked at dispensers but it looks like you have a choice between one with nozzles/spouts (so you wouldn't need a funnel) but don't accurately measure the sugar or ones that dispense a set amount but don't have spouts. Maybe I should get one of the accurate ones and 3d print a spout.

Adding the sugar still takes more time than I'd like. I've looked at dispensers but it looks like you have a choice between one with nozzles/spouts (so you wouldn't need a funnel) but don't accurately measure the sugar or ones that dispense a set amount but don't have spouts. Maybe I should get one of the accurate ones and 3d print a spout.

I've moved from half teaspoon into bottle via funnel to making sugar solution and injecting into bottle with syringe. It is quicker, and easier to get consistent amount per bottle.

Iā€™m about halfway through the brewing process. Iā€™ve been looking at ways to cut down Bottling and it looks like it may cut times down considerably (Bottling Tree, Bottle Rinser, Carbing Drops) Will have to let you know how it goes

What I will add regarding bottles...
Wash and rinse as you drink the contents. Drain and store somewhere DRY and as damp free as possible!
Mine store ok in the garage. In my little shed is a different story...they attract slugs in a vicious fashion!
I dislike bottles.

For me it's the soaking in vwp/Milton then rinsing that takes the time. Though I've quickend that process by using an enormous bin like vessel that holds nearly all 30-40 bottled and tubing gubbins etc.

I do 10 at a time, syringing 5 ml of sugar water in each one with a 50ml syringe. I reckon bottling and washing up would take me <25 mins now if i went for it and you discounted the soaking rinsing part mentioned above.

For me it's the soaking in vwp/Milton then rinsing that takes the time. Though I've quickend that process by using an enormous bin like vessel that holds nearly all 30-40 bottled and tubing gubbins etc.

I do 10 at a time, syringing 5 ml of sugar water in each one with a 50ml syringe. I reckon bottling and washing up would take me <25 mins now if i went for it and you discounted the soaking rinsing part mentioned above.

Don't wash up. Wash after pouring. Taper cork with vodka in a squirtee bottle.

Back