Keg priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve not been able to use the spreadsheet as not on my laptop, but I’ve been looking at online calcs too.

so tomorrow most likely I’m kegging a 9litre batch of US pale ale and want to carb to 2.5 volumes. I’ve looked at some online calcs and books I have and it appears that priming for bottles is different from kegs?

Brewersfriend tells me around 65g, whereas Brewfather has 2 options, “sugar” which is bottling, at about 64g and then “keg“ which is 32g.

why would this be the case? I presume I go with the keg option on brewfather, although that’s not a lot of fermentables?

R

I’ve not been able to use the spreadsheet as not on my laptop, but I’ve been looking at online calcs too.

so tomorrow most likely I’m kegging a 9litre batch of US pale ale and want to carb to 2.5 volumes. I’ve looked at some online calcs and books I have and it appears that priming for bottles is different from kegs?

Brewersfriend tells me around 65g, whereas Brewfather has 2 options, “sugar” which is bottling, at about 64g and then “keg“ which is 32g.

why would this be the case? I presume I go with the keg option on brewfather, although that’s not a lot of fermentables?

R
Mmmm I think I would go with the same amount as bottling that's what I'm doing tomorrow filling a corny and same amount of sugar as I would when adding to bottles I'm a newbie with kegs so hopefully someone has experience and a reason not to lol

Mmmm I think I would go with the same amount as bottling that's what I'm doing tomorrow filling a corny and same amount of sugar as I would when adding to bottles I'm a newbie with kegs so hopefully someone has experience and a reason not to lol
100% why would it be different to keg or bottle? It's the amount of beer to sugar ratio that matters!

I've had no issues with either method really so have no real preference - I just tend to force carbonate as its just slightly less faff and better support totally closed transfer to the keg and exposure of air/oxygen, and if you have time then the quality of carbonation is fine - I'm rarely in such a rush to need to carbonate in a matter of minutes/hours, but have a keg lid with a carb stone if I ever needed to carbonate that fast. I am now thinking about partial pressure fermenting partly to save on CO2, but also I have a hypothesis that the carbonation from natural methods like pressure fermentation, yields a better 'quality' of carbonation so I'd like to try this method and see if there is any truth to that at all.

I don't want to pressure ferment from the start as I want the flavour contribution of the yeast to come through, but will start spunding, say 3/4 of the way through fermentation, once the yeast flavour contributions have been imparted.

Back