Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how2makehomebrew

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first time posting so go easy on me lol.

I am going to be making some home brew over the weekend, and just have a couple of questions.

Will fairy liquid be enough to clean my equipment or do I need proper sanitizer?

I am going to be using a keg barrel to ferment the beer in but it doesn't have a hole in the lid for an air lock, does this matter?

Also I will be using brewing sugar but I have heard people say that you can use normal granulated sugar from a supermarket is that correct?

I think thats all for now.
Cheers
:cheers:

how2makehomebrew said:
Will fairy liquid be enough to clean my equipment
NO! DO NOT DO THIS!!!

how2makehomebrew said:
or do I need proper sanitizer?
You only need proper sanitiser if you actually want to make beer rather than 5 gallons of vinegar

how2makehomebrew said:
I am going to be using a keg barrel to ferment the beer in but it doesn't have a hole in the lid for an air lock, does this matter?
Why not use a fermenting bin to ferment in and then the keg to dispense . . . like the rest of us??

how2makehomebrew said:
Also I will be using brewing sugar but I have heard people say that you can use normal granulated sugar from a supermarket is that correct?
Completely correct . . . although spending more on a premium kit that does not require sugar will make a more beery beer.

These Instructions show the best way to make a beer kit.

Hi thanks for the reply,

Aleman said:
how2makehomebrew wrote:

Why not use a fermenting bin to ferment in and then the keg to dispense . . . like the rest of us??
Thanks for the reply,

Im new to this and still learning, I thought you could still ferment it in a keg, because I plan to bottle it when its ready, I'll use a fermenting bin instead then.

thanks for your help and I'll read the link you posted.

Cheers :)

main problem with using a Keg to ferment is trying to clean it afterwards as you can't get your hand in it

Back