Kit v All Grain Costs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I don't spend a lot on other stuff. Only other hobby is golf and I haven't bought any new clubs in 10 years. I'm not panicking about the cost at all. The reason I started calculating the cost of a pint over time was in response to a friend who was convinced I was throwing money down the drain and would maybe do 5 brews before I couldn't be bothered any more. I'm already under the price of a pint of everyday average beer from any pub.
That's where the real cost saving for social drinkers v homebrewers comes to Play but for those who drink at home more so than ever it's a relaxing hobby and quote easily can be carried away early on but you don't notice the cost over time except when you're checking the basket in the HB website or at the shop counter.
I recently pre ordered a Robobrew
v3.1.1 as its my birthday soon and I've no real call for it as the beer is just fine and great poured from the tap, having 3 fridges and the gadgets go on and not to mention the roller mill I've bought and haven't used yet.
That reminds me I must order more grain and hops and yeast 👍👍👍👍

I was on their site Sunday past and put a 25kg uncrushed bag of MO in my basket to check if it would still be there today as you can still log into your account but to my dismay my cart was empty.

BTW does anyone add delivery costs when breaking down there brews???

In my mind, I always add the delivery cost to the price of the 25kg Base Malt,

5 years ago it was ~£30, now more like £35. Hence £1.40 as the base line for the cost of malt.

I can still get it for £30 but depending on malt type.

Yes, I think Minch Hook Head Malt (for instance) may well be a fair bit cheaper and I have used it without noticing any difference in quality, But then, I am a bit of a plebeian in such sensory matters.

So, lets do the arithmetic. Lets say 25kg of base malt does you 5 brews - so it is £1 per brew.
As each brew length is 25L (Slid Brewhouse) that is 4p per litre.
As I bottle in 2L or 500mL bottles, that is ~ 2p per 500mL which is just less than a whole pint.

So, I guess that is difference buying a bottle at the supermarket between one at £1.25 and one at £1.23. I guess we are all swayed more by the one "on offer"?

Well I don't spend a lot on other stuff. Only other hobby is golf and I haven't bought any new clubs in 10 years. I'm not panicking about the cost at all. The reason I started calculating the cost of a pint over time was in response to a friend who was convinced I was throwing money down the drain and would maybe do 5 brews before I couldn't be bothered any more. I'm already under the price of a pint of everyday average beer from any pub.
There's another incentive to brew if you've bought some shiny. The more you drink, the cheaper it becomes. Keep drinking people.

Yes, I think Minch Hook Head Malt (for instance) may well be a fair bit cheaper and I have used it without noticing any difference in quality, But then, I am a bit of a plebeian in such sensory matters.

So, lets do the arithmetic. Lets say 25kg of base malt does you 5 brews - so it is £1 per brew.
As each brew length is 25L (Slid Brewhouse) that is 4p per litre.
As I bottle in 2L or 500mL bottles, that is ~ 2p per 500mL which is just less than a whole pint.

So, I guess that is difference buying a bottle at the supermarket between one at £1.25 and one at £1.23. I guess we are all swayed more by the one "on offer"?
Ehhh
I take it that you're having some of really cheap home brew😜😜😜😜

does it matter how much it costs as long as you enjoy it clapa
As said cost shouldn't come into it, its the challenge and enjoyment of meeting the challenge, pitting your skills against other brewers. My fishing gear cost way more than my brewing gear, which in a sense is more competitive, pitting your wits against other anglers plus the fish.
If someone is happy buying a can making a beer, good for them, once you start tweaking kits you are also tweaking your interest in brewing. No matter what hobby one takes up, giving it your best shot and achieving goals set, gives as good as satisfaction as drinking the rewards of your endeavor.

What ever the cost it's never going to be as high as pub prices and where can you get a decent pint of NEIPA.

My brain works it out like this
£20 for grain from Crisp Maltings (no delivery as it’s 5 mins from me
So it’s £4 for a 5kg brew
Yeast £2
Hops £5
46 bottles for £11 is 23p a bottle
Cheap as chips

I would guess that the cheapest AG brew you can do is a SMASH using Hook Head malt and a UK grown hop. Or if you really get into it start growing your own hops - I've got 6 plants now.
Wilkos gervin yeast (about £1.85 per packet and reuse the trub to halve that.
Electricity for a brew works out at about £1.30 according to our smart meter.
Works out very cheap per pint.
You shouldn't really include equipment costs as they can vary between next to nothing and a small fortune entirely at the discretion of the brewer.

Great cost breakdown Slid, thanks for that, to harvest yeast would I need a conical FV?,
There's a recent thread about that here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/slurry.85208Wot I do is to sanitise a pint glass, collect about 3/4 pint of trub from the FV immediately after bottling using a sanitised ladle, cover glass with cling film, then into the fridge. Then aim to use within two weeks. Then at pitching time, using a sanitised dessert spoon, I take the top quarter to a third having poured off any liquid. I will only keep this yeast for 3 generations, although I sure others go for more.

I would guess that the cheapest AG brew you can do is a SMASH using Hook Head malt and a UK grown hop. Or if you really get into it start growing your own hops - I've got 6 plants now.
Wilkos gervin yeast (about £1.85 per packet and reuse the trub to halve that.
Electricity for a brew works out at about £1.30 according to our smart meter.
Works out very cheap per pint.
You shouldn't really include equipment costs as they can vary between next to nothing and a small fortune entirely at the discretion of the brewer.

I havent bought any notty for ages. A few weeks ago I went to wilko to buy a pack and was disgusted to see they've put it up to £2! 😡 :laugh8:

There's a recent thread about that here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/slurry.85208Wot I do is to sanitise a pint glass, collect about 3/4 pint of trub from the FV immediately after bottling using a sanitised ladle, cover glass with cling film, then into the fridge. Then aim to use within two weeks. Then at pitching time, using a sanitised dessert spoon, I take the top quarter to a third having poured off any liquid. I will only keep this yeast for 3 generations, although I sure others go for more.

I dont even bother using a ladle. I just swirl the FV and pour the straight into a jar

Back