Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The RIS has just been racked and its as black as hell. 1101 down to 1034 giving me 8.79% ABV. That will do . I am not getting much sweetness or hop character from it but its bitter and very complex. No alcohol burn, no fusels or odd flavours. In all i am extremely impressed. Been put off doing strong beers and its been hit and miss with me. I have filled a dj and bottled a few so going to add some oak chips or dust and let it sit 3 weeks before i bottle the rest. I think oak will be perfect with this.

@BeerCat Thanks, much appreciated. I haven't decided what I'll brew with it, but an IPA is a possibility as I have a KG of Galaxy sitting in the freezer.

A kilo of Galaxy nice one. Not tried it yet but heard great things. I h

I was told by Mr Heath i should of reached a lower FG with my RIS so we shall see next time. I did think there was a lot of speciality grains so not really surprised it was high but its quite likely i made some mistakes. Has anyone checked his recipe? I might modify it slightly next time and up the candi sugar. I thought i would get some whisky barrel chunks and throw them in as well.

My raw stout is bubbling away nicely at 37c.

Next RIS recipe is going to be fermented on whisky barrel chips;

7l batch
OG 1.126
IBU 77
SRM 50

1.2kg maris otter
100g black malt
100g chocolate
150g dark rye
150g roast barley
100g aromatic
160g flaked barley
160g flaked oats
250g malted oats
800g malted wheat
700g golden syrup
30g challenger @60

Wow now that’s fast. Especially with an under pitch.

Be interesting to hear how much the esters have come through with the high temp and the under pitch. And what they are with the sigmund giernes voss strain. Orange peel? Tart?

Everything in my brewing waters tell me this is wrong. But that many Norwegians can’t be wrong.

Wow now that’s fast. Especially with an under pitch.

Be interesting to hear how much the esters have come through with the high temp and the under pitch. And what they are with the sigmund giernes voss strain. Orange peel? Tart?

Everything in my brewing waters tell me this is wrong. But that many Norwegians can’t be wrong.

When i went to pitch i realised there was very little yeast left in the jar and it was very dry. I must of given most of it away. It was fermenting after a few hours but being impatient i added a tablespoon from another jar. I also pitched at 15 c so took a while to get going.
4 x the temp of a lager lol. I took the lid off and it was pretty much like a bath. Funny really, crazy Scandinavians and their yeast.
I think i will try a milkshake style IPA with loads of fruit and this yeast.
Cant tell you what flavours i am getting from it so far to be honest. :)

Hoping to do another RIS friday night but i have just received my whisky barrel chunks. They smell very nice and i presume they need to be sanitised in more whisky. How long do i need to soak them? Hopefully not long. The chunks are about 2x2cm so getting them into the dj is not an option. Will the whisky used for soaking be undrinkable or should i add it to the beer once its fermented? If i can find a cheapish bottle of single malt will get one.

When I've used whiskey Barrel chunks, I just put them in a bowl, with water and then clingfilm over the top. Microwaved them for a couple of minutes to sterilise with steam and then into the Fv, water and chunks.

You can then drink the unadulterated whiskey.

When I've used whiskey Barrel chunks, I just put them in a bowl, with water and then clingfilm over the top. Microwaved them for a couple of minutes to sterilise with steam and then into the Fv, water and chunks.

You can then drink the unadulterated whiskey.

I don't have a microwave. Any other options? I like the sound of drinking the unadulterated whisky.

Boil them for 20 mins in water. That can also remove excess barrel flava from the chunks. I think Michael Tonsmeire recommends that approach. FWIW

Back