Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a recent double brew day using kveik yeast; here are my experiences

The first beer was a NEIPA (about 6,5% ABV)
  • 75% Pale Ale, 15% Flaked Oats, 10% Pale Wheat
  • 15g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) Boil 10 min
    50g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) 30 min hopstand @ 75 °C
    60g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) Dry hop
  • RO water - treated to NEIPA profile
  • Added some yeast nutrient, pitched half a satchel of Lallemand Kveik Voss
  • Fermented @ 38°C, added dryhops after 2 days, cool crashed 3 days later, kegged after 2 days after cool crash, beer done and ready to drink at day 10
1593079736781.png

The beer is amazing - it's on the bitter end of the NEIPA spectrum but still juicy. A lot of fruit going around - the orange flavours really compliment Mosaic / H Blanc fruit flavours and Centennial Pine flavours. Not bad for a quick turnover beer - Kveik does really well with hazy IPAs!

The other beer was a bit of a user-upper fantasy beer - I wanted a crisp dark beer that still had some interesting malt flavour. Somewhere between a bitter and schwarzbier?

Malts
  • 3000g Pale Malt
  • 600g Simpsons Golden Oats
  • 250g Mild Malt
  • 200g Weyermann Carafa Special III
Hops (35 IBU)
  • 15 g Centennial 9.4% — Boil — 60 min
  • 45 g Centennial 9.4% — Boil — 10 min
Rest
  • Amsterdam tap water - treated to lager profile
  • Added some yeast nutrient, pitched the other half a satchel of Lallemand Kveik Voss
  • Fermented @ 19°C cool crashed 6 days later, kegged after 1 day after cool crash
This beer was ultra crisp and kicked quite a bit of sulphur - reminded me of some Bohemian lagers I had in Prague. It was also still really hoppy tasting - a bit like a hopstand. Could be that sampling it so soon did that. If I would repeat this I'd pitch a whole satchel of yeast and perhaps give it a bit longer to clean up (if fermenting again at 19c). I'll let it lager for about 3 weeks for things to mellow out a bit and sample it.

I was thinking of making a NEIPA with my Stranda (tropical flavours) so good to know yours turned out well.

Gonna do a Citra, Mosaic, El Dorado one.

Now hopefully that weird rubber taste ages out of the Stranda brew I'm currently doing. If not I'll buy some Voss and give that a try instead. Wouldn't want to waste all those hops on a foul tasting beer.

I had a recent double brew day using kveik yeast; here are my experiences

The first beer was a NEIPA (about 6,5% ABV)
  • 75% Pale Ale, 15% Flaked Oats, 10% Pale Wheat
  • 15g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) Boil 10 min
    50g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) 30 min hopstand @ 75 °C
    60g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) Dry hop
  • RO water - treated to NEIPA profile
  • Added some yeast nutrient, pitched half a satchel of Lallemand Kveik Voss
  • Fermented @ 38°C, added dryhops after 2 days, cool crashed 3 days later, kegged after 2 days after cool crash, beer done and ready to drink at day 10
View attachment 28157

The beer is amazing - it's on the bitter end of the NEIPA spectrum but still juicy. A lot of fruit going around - the orange flavours really compliment Mosaic / H Blanc fruit flavours and Centennial Pine flavours. Not bad for a quick turnover beer - Kveik does really well with hazy IPAs!

The other beer was a bit of a user-upper fantasy beer - I wanted a crisp dark beer that still had some interesting malt flavour. Somewhere between a bitter and schwarzbier?

Malts
  • 3000g Pale Malt
  • 600g Simpsons Golden Oats
  • 250g Mild Malt
  • 200g Weyermann Carafa Special III
Hops (35 IBU)
  • 15 g Centennial 9.4% — Boil — 60 min
  • 45 g Centennial 9.4% — Boil — 10 min
Rest
  • Amsterdam tap water - treated to lager profile
  • Added some yeast nutrient, pitched the other half a satchel of Lallemand Kveik Voss
  • Fermented @ 19°C cool crashed 6 days later, kegged after 1 day after cool crash
This beer was ultra crisp and kicked quite a bit of sulphur - reminded me of some Bohemian lagers I had in Prague. It was also still really hoppy tasting - a bit like a hopstand. Could be that sampling it so soon did that. If I would repeat this I'd pitch a whole satchel of yeast and perhaps give it a bit longer to clean up (if fermenting again at 19c). I'll let it lager for about 3 weeks for things to mellow out a bit and sample it.
Good to know - I'm planning a Styrian Wolf session IPA soon but I'm torn between play it safe/stick to what I know vs. have another go with the CML Voss Kweik I have in the fridge athumb..

it's on the bitter end of the NEIPA spectrum but still juicy.
I know that farmhouse versions of kveik increase wort acidity which enhances perceived bitterness, and this is something I experienced with Skare. As it's conditioned in the bottle the pronounced bitterness has calmed a small but but left a bit of astringency. Anyway, I'm not sure if the lab versions have the same effect or it's a case of recipe design.

Nonetheless sounds like an excellent beer and looks good too. I quite like the sound of the schwarzbier too.

I was thinking of making a NEIPA with my Stranda (tropical flavours) so good to know yours turned out well.

Gonna do a Citra, Mosaic, El Dorado one.

Now hopefully that weird rubber taste ages out of the Stranda brew I'm currently doing. If not I'll buy some Voss and give that a try instead. Wouldn't want to waste all those hops on a foul tasting beer.

Rubber is not a flavour I recognise. In other beers at my homebrew group it most often had to do with yeast health (burnt rubber often indicated autolysis). Could it be that the strain you have is not pure and you are pushing some poor strain to absolute extreme temperature? I love that there are dry yeast Kveiks on the market nowadays. It makes life so much easier.

Your hop selection sounds excellent - hope it turns into a nice beer!

Rubber is not a flavour I recognise. In other beers at my homebrew group it most often had to do with yeast health (burnt rubber often indicated autolysis). Could it be that the strain you have is not pure and you are pushing some poor strain to absolute extreme temperature? I love that there are dry yeast Kveiks on the market nowadays. It makes life so much easier.

Your hop selection sounds excellent - hope it turns into a nice beer!
I was thinking it may be something to do with that. From what I could dig up online rubber band smell and taste is from stressed yeast - too hot, underpitching, nutrient deficiency, and autolysis like you said. It wouldn't be autolysis after 3 days, and I added more than enough nutrient, so it has to be the other two which is odd for Kveik (as far as I know).

It smells a little better today so I'm hoping it'll age out. I'll keep the yeast aside in a bottle for reuse and I'll chuck it if the off flavours don't age out.

I've also messaged the seller (yeaserbunnybrewing) on ebay to see if this is normal for this strain.

Well it's finished in 2 days at 36 Deg about 7%.

I'm going to leave it to sort itself out for a few more days. Do you think I should turn the heater off or do you recon the yeast still needs it on?
(I don't really understand the magic that happens toward the end of fermentation.)
i turn the heat off once bubbling stops. Normally after 2 days for a low abv beer. You don't need to, i have tried both but i may as well save some energy.

EDIT. And if your dry hopping definitely turn it off.

Last edited:
Just checked my Stranda, 1.010 after three days (and I suspect it was finished yesterday).

There's a slightly odd smell and taste to it, like rubber almost. Anyone experienced this in their brews?
Not used stranda but that does not sound right to me. Farmhouse yeast or omega labs? I would be tempted to do another batch in case i had to dump it.

Not used stranda but that does not sound right to me. Farmhouse yeast or omega labs? I would be tempted to do another batch in case i had to dump it.
I bought it from yeaserbunnybrewing on ebay, came as dried flakes so I'm guessing farmhouse. I also bought a pack of Oslo Kveik from them which didn't work so I'm thinking it may be a problem with the yeast. Probably something wild in there giving the off flavours.

I just bought 3 new strains: Oslo, Simonaitis, Voss, from this seller Kveik 3 top Cropped Yeasts- Worldwide Shipping | eBay. I'm looking for a good "lager" yeast and have tried Skare, but not sure it's the right one for me, still need to do some more brews though before I give up. I think it would be good for an IPA or pale/hoppy type beer. Simonaitis is POF+ as well as sour, have seem some facebook comments about people making funky saisons with it. And voss because why not :laugh8:

I bought it from yeaserbunnybrewing on ebay, came as dried flakes so I'm guessing farmhouse. I also bought a pack of Oslo Kveik from them which didn't work so I'm thinking it may be a problem with the yeast. Probably something wild in there giving the off flavours.

Ah, ok. I bought 2 packs and made starters with them. They took a long time to get going. I stepped them up again and the beer was fine. I don't think i would be happy pitching the pack as it is though. Other "home" dried yeast also acted similarly. I always make starters and/or pitch a healthy amount of yeast.
Rubber sounds like an off flavour from a stressed fermentation but i do remember David Heath mentioning it in regards to a (forgotten by me) strain.

Ah, ok. I bought 2 packs and made starters with them. They took a long time to get going. I stepped them up again and the beer was fine. I don't think i would be happy pitching the pack as it is though. Other "home" dried yeast also acted similarly. I always make starters and/or pitch a healthy amount of yeast.
Rubber sounds like an off flavour from a stressed fermentation but i do remember David Heath mentioning it in regards to a (forgotten by me) strain.
I emailed yeaserbunnybrewing after the Oslo failed and they specifically told me not to make a starter (I hadn't)... This time I reserved 500ml of wort from the main brew and made a quick 2 hour starter with extra nutrient. It showed signs of life after the two hours so I pitched it.

I've top cropped it so I could culture up a big starter and try again, I didn't notice any off smells when cropping it.

I also read that some people have got the rubber phenols from Hornindial and Voss Kveiks so perhaps it's just something common in Kveik?

I emailed yeaserbunnybrewing after the Oslo failed and they specifically told me not to make a starter (I hadn't)... This time I reserved 500ml of wort from the main brew and made a quick 2 hour starter with extra nutrient. It showed signs of life after the two hours so I pitched it.

I've top cropped it so I could culture up a big starter and try again, I didn't notice any off smells when cropping it.

I also read that some people have got the rubber phenols from Hornindial and Voss Kveiks so perhaps it's just something common in Kveik?

You can make a starter with any yeast, it just increases cell count. As far as i know all kveik is POF- phenolic off flavour negative Kveik
Not heard of rubber being an issue before but i have dumped plenty of beer. Luckily not too much recently. Voss is always clean for me and Hornindal is meant to be fruitier but i have less experience of that.

I know you can (and usually should) make a starter with all yeast. The only reason I didn't was because of the Kveik underpitching fame.

It's clearly not worked for me! Soooo

New plan:

I'll be using the second runnings from this weekends brew day (Weizenbock) with plenty of nutrients to culture up a big starter. Then I'll make a bog standard 5l pale ale, fermented at room temps to check for off flavours without wasting too many ingredients. Finally I'll get my Stranda NEIPA on if all of the above goes according to plan.

No retreat, no surrender!

I know you can (and usually should) make a starter with all yeast. The only reason I didn't was because of the Kveik underpitching fame.

It's clearly not worked for me! Soooo

New plan:

I'll be using the second runnings from this weekends brew day (Weizenbock) with plenty of nutrients to culture up a big starter. Then I'll make a bog standard 5l pale ale, fermented at room temps to check for off flavours without wasting too many ingredients. Finally I'll get my Stranda NEIPA on if all of the above goes according to plan.

No retreat, no surrender!

Good on you it will all come together. If you get stuck and you have any spare yeast vials send them to me and i will give you some yeast.

Good on you it will all come together. If you get stuck and you have any spare yeast vials send them to me and i will give you some yeast.
Might have to take you up on that. If all goes well I'll trade you a 200ml (snowball) bottle of Stranda for some of yours.

I've got a pack of Oslo from yeasterbunny that I'm planning to use on Monday... Bit worried after reading all this that it's dead? Thinking I'll have to make a starter up to find out...

My AIPA with CML Kveik has been at 35 for nearly 6 days and gone from 1050 to 1006. It tastes ok...bitter and boozy as I've gained and extra 1% on abv with the attenuation. I've dropped it to 19c now for dry hop. Time wise I'm 8 days ahead...but I won't dry hop til at least tomorrow as nights tonight then it'll be nearly a 4 day dry hop...I think I may leave it five then cold crash. This would cut out my dry hop time/cold crash of 4/5 days...
I think though it was done after 4 days but I don't do much during my work block so decided to leave it.

Quick question..........does the hydrometer reading alter depending on the temperature of the wort ???
On my 1st Kveik brew I fermented at about 38c and took my reading at that temperature, like you I then let it drop after it had finished to dry hop at about 18c, then took my final gravity reading at that lower temperature...........any ideas ??

Back