Label removal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARFLY

Reaction score
Any tips on how to remove labels from wine bottles etc., so that i can re-use the ones that i`ve been saving for bottling my first ever batch?

BARFLY.

I just soak the bottles in really hot soapy water. After about 20 mins or so the labels should just either fall off or be easily persuaded. Then I use a scrubbing brush to get rid of any glue residue or stubborn bits and that's it.

:thumb:

If you have any labels of the plastic variety then fill the bottle with very hot water this soften the glue with the heat and you are then able to peel off. However be careful as you need to use hot water which may crack the glass. Its usually best to put these in the recycling though.

:cheers:

AG

You know what are a right PITA? "Meantime Brewery" labels :x . Lovely beer; they just obviously don't want anyone reusing their bottles!

I soak mine but If there the sticker type and real tough, rub a bit of mayo on them leave for a few min then wash it should just slide off as the mayo gets under it to lift it

sounds minging but does work lol works on stickers kids put on your furniture also lol :grin:

I get a stanley knife and cut an 'X' on each label before soaking - I figure it helps the water to get to the glue underneath the middle of the label instead of just creeping in around the edges.

I find some labels have a very stubborn glue - the Brillo pad is my weapon of choice for dealing with these.

Give them a good soak in hot water with some bleach and detergent and peel off.
If only the top layer of paper comes off, put them back in to soak some more.
Some will need the paper scaping off with a finger nail - port bottles almost always need this.
Any residual glue comes off well with a steel pot scourer and lots of water.
There are a few glues in use though that stay sticky no matter what you do and just smear around when you try the scourer. I've no solution for these and just have to chuck the bottles out.

Ken L said:
There are a few glues in use though that stay sticky no matter what you do and just smear around when you try the scourer. I've no solution for these and just have to chuck the bottles out.

My last measure is to try a bit of white spirit on a rag and then wipe over the stubborn glue - try to avoid it as I don't like the smell and only resort to this if a Brillo pad and lots of elbow grease doesn't do the trick. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but I guess it depends on what the glue is made from.

I tried spirit on a few of my more intransient bottles as well as a session in a dish washer and everything else I could think of. They were really fancy glassware so I resented chucking them out but did just that in the end.
You shoud try a stainless pot scourer over the brillo pad though - top tool 'cause they don't clog with glue/paper.
The sourer even works a treat on the glue used to secure the clear plastic labels on some spirit bottles - and suprisingly, I've yet to scatch the glass.

Soak them overnight in soapy water, The scrape them off with a back of a knife, if you have any glue's left on use a brillo pad, steel wool and soap makes light work of any glues. Just done about 40 bottles this week.

We use the label remover stuff at work in the spray cans to remove labels from machines and belts. I have a load of glue and tar remover that I bought for removing tar from the car but works and smells the same. Lol

If you have an autosmart near you, you can get 5 litres of the stuff for around £15.

Most advise of soaking in hot soapy water will work, but there are times when the labels are just too sticky and need a little more encouragement. I find once I have removed as much as possible with soap and water I dab a little parafin onto a cloth and rub it over the jar/bottle bobs your auntie.. :clap:

As usual, your collective advice is well appreciated and it has also worked...........labels are just about jumping off the bottles as i type.

I did my first ever batch today, half a dozen Old Peculiar bottles, half a dozen Batemens Victory bottles, and 15 Stella bottles.

Filled a plastic washing up bowl with water so hot that I could only just put me hands in for a few seconds, with a decent amount of Fairy washing up liquid.

Put the bottles in a few at a time, making sure they filled up with water and didn't float.

After a few mins, scrubbed them with one of those aluminum washing up scrubber things. Labels, glue and everything came off a piece of cake. Was well pleased with myself.

But then, I'm easily pleased! :cheers:

Back