Lagering fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Dutto
But the OP didn't ask for a description of a lager, he asked about the process of making a lager.

If I asked the question:
"Do I need an oven to make a rye bread"

And the answer was:
"Well this description from Wikipedia doesn't mention an oven: Rye bread is a type of bread made with various proportions of flour from rye grain. It can be light or dark in color, depending on the type of flour used and the addition of coloring agents, and is typically denser than bread made from wheat flour. It is higher in fiber than white bread and is often darker in color and stronger in flavor."

It doesn't really answer the question. The process is integral to the finished product: no oven, no rye bread.

Likewise, that very vague description of a Vienna lager requires a little more detail in order for a person to brew it, which I'm pretty sure is what the OP was asking for.

:wave:
I have a "Sleep" function on the MacBook so maybe I stay logged on even though I'm doing other things!

Mind you, I don't sleep all that much anyway and brewing is my only real vice/activity/obsession etc!:gulp:

@Dutto
But the OP didn't ask for a description of a lager, he asked about the process of making a lager.

Likewise, that very vague description of a Vienna lager requires a little more detail in order for a person to brew it, which I'm pretty sure is what the OP was asking for.

As already pointed out, the answer to the OP was "No." "Yes." "Not applicable.":wave:If you took the trouble to go and look at the relevant section of "Dutto's Brew Day" you will see a full description of HOW I brewed ALL of the Vienna Lager brews. Enjoy!.:gulp:

Where did you find out aabout these ? Would love to look this up thanks

Came across Kolsch on posts on here and I now use the WLP029 Kolsch which is expensive to buy (like all liquid yeast) but can be top cropped (harvested) from one brew and stored in the fridge and re-used in future brews, up to 8 times or so is ok I think.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/wlp029-germankolsch-ale-yeast/

If you don't want to mess with liquid yeasts, harvesting, starters etc then as strange steve suggests there are dried Kolsch yeasts available. Definately worth a try.

I have a brewfridge and have done a couple of 'proper' lagers as can ferment at 12°C and then 'lager' store at 4°C but found it all a bit of a hassle and clogged up my brewfridge for weeks on end and arrived at the conclusion it was more bother than it was worth when Kolsch gives very similar results for a lot less bother !

As others have said, even a Kolsch will benefit from a couple of weeks in the cold to crisp it up.

Good luck with it buddy.

Famous for having massive arses.....most women don’t want a massive ****!

Came across Kolsch on posts on here and I now use the WLP029 Kolsch which is expensive to buy (like all liquid yeast) but can be top cropped (harvested) from one brew and stored in the fridge and re-used in future brews, up to 8 times or so is ok I think.

If you don't want to mess with liquid yeasts, harvesting, starters etc then as strange steve suggests there are dried Kolsch yeasts available. Definately worth a try.

I have a brewfridge and have done a couple of 'proper' lagers as can ferment at 12°C and then 'lager' store at 4°C but found it all a bit of a hassle and clogged up my brewfridge for weeks on end and arrived at the conclusion it was more bother than it was worth when Kolsch gives very similar results for a lot less bother !

As others have said, even a Kolsch will benefit from a couple of weeks in the cold to crisp it up.

Good luck with it buddy.

CML (dried) Kolsch yeast is really quite good too

Good luck with it buddy.

Smashing i have ordered a few powders hopefully get them early this week will give it as go thanks

Shorter as its an ale yeast, althought I haven't useds a dry kolsch yeast.

It should be 2 weeks ferment, then bottle and carb up somewhere warm for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks cold conditioning before drinking - will definately benefit from another 2 weeks cold condition to crisp up and mature a bit. So 2 weeks ferment then 6 weeks in the bottle before drinking.

Obviously be guided by the hydrometer before bottling too early - 2 weeks is an estimate for ferment fully, don;t bottle until the SG is down to 1010 or 1012 or so and has been stable for a couple of consecutive days.

Brilliant thanks again the yeast i receied in the post is a liquid so i will give i a read aand start it this weekend will let you know how it goes

Shorter as its an ale yeast, althought I haven't useds a dry kolsch yeast.

It should be 2 weeks ferment, then bottle and carb up somewhere warm for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks cold conditioning before drinking - will definately benefit from another 2 weeks cold condition to crisp up and mature a bit. So 2 weeks ferment then 6 weeks in the bottle before drinking.

Obviously be guided by the hydrometer before bottling too early - 2 weeks is an estimate for ferment fully, don;t bottle until the SG is down to 1010 or 1012 or so and has been stable for a couple of consecutive days.
I got sent out liquid yeast smack pack never used this before hope i did it correctly

Latest posts

Back