Large fermenter temperature control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fermentation chamber + Stainless coil in the FV Itself cooled by a Maxi 310 python

All depends on what your FV is made from, If SS I would consider using a tightly wrapped coil of copper on the pot exterior behind some good insulation, if plastic or already insulated like a thermopot an internal coil may be preferable?

If using an external copper coil the major issue i can see is keeping it tight and making a good positive heat transfering contact.

SS Square product coils from the larger bar chillers appear on ebay from time to time at about £15 a pop..

10334206306_7fd8efe194.jpg

and adding a small inline tube heater into the mix will allow you to heat as well as cool using a shelf chiller, just mount the chiller above the FV and heating element so the water doesn't just run back into the waterbath and overflow between runs.

10297520535_fcfc16556f.jpg

an ebay 10mm diameter cartridge heating element(£5) fitted in with a drilled/filled out 10mm compression fitting.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-x-120mm- ... 2c746bbae0

and an stc1000 to control it all..

10560531245_6da0bf5528.jpg

If your shelf chiller has no python pump, u can drop a pond/water feature pump down into the product coil well easily enough;)

I built an insulated FV cupboard, I use a tube heater controlled by a PID via a PT100 thermometer in the FV with a bog standard plant room thermostat as a fail safe. This is an old picture, the power lead entry into the tube heater is at the bottom now ;) Lid and front removed for the next batch, its made from dexion and reclaimed steel clad insulation panels that are used to make industrial units etc.

I did have an issue where it was eating tube heaters, I think there was two problems. First the tube heaters I bought were cheap and nasty, secondly the PID was pulsing it on and off every second or so. I found an old tube heater, brand new old stock, much better construction, plus I found the period parameter on the PID and set it to 10 seconds instead of 1. I may set it to 60.

The FV is in my cellar which ranges from about 7c to 14c winter to summer and I have never needed any cooling in 80L batches yet. I think the secret is not to make the insulation too good. Admittedly I don't log the temp yet, just observer it relatively frequently. I do have data logger capability now so will be doing this at some point.

Cheers
Andy

Thank Steve

I found it on ebay, search for biodiesel tank, however just had a look and couldn't spot one. This looks identical, whatever you select make sure its food grade HDPE and preferably new, not used for biofuel production :sick:

Cheers
Andy

Latest posts

Back