Looking for suggestions refreshing ale using any of these...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Equinox101

Reaction score
I'm working on doing two AG brews this weekend, the first I did earlier today, a porter with a green and blacks cacao addition, ill post pics when I download them off my camera. It's went well not sure how the chocolate will make it turn out, was looking to add a little more depth and another level to a porter I did some 6 months ago now.

So now my second brew, I'm aiming to do this tomorrow morning but I don't know what to do. What I do know is I want to make a light pale possibly fruity beer, maybe with a fruit addition to the boil or in the fermenting, or just with the use of hops. Basically a nice refreshing ale. So I've got a load of grains (25kg Maris otter sack bought today) and a load of various hops. Any of which I can use.

This is what I've got in my larder:-

Opened hops all around 80g
Target
Progress
Golding

Unopened hops all 100g

Brambling cross
Czech saaz
Northdown
Mount hood
Cascade
Northern brewer

Opened grain:-
Maris otter 21kg
Lager malt approx. 1-1.5kg
Amber malt approx 300g
Crystal malt 400g

Unopened grain:-
Flaked wheat 1kg
chocolate malt 1kg
Wheat malt 4kg
Oat husks 500g
Munich malt 500g
Black malt 500g
Roasted barley 500g
Torrified wheat 1kg

So ideally looking to put together a lighter refreshing beer.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Edit: around the 20litre final volume.

Just to use what you already have: 2.5kg MO, 1kg lager malt, 200g crystal. Bitter with 20g target, finish with 5m and 0m additions of progress and dry-hop with target and progress.

If opening stuff, something around 3kg MO, 1kg lager malt, 500g Munich, bitter with 20g target at 60, a combo of 15g of each Mt Hood and Cascade at 10, 5 and 0 (90g of late hops). Should finish fairly dry but with a tad of malt from the Munich. OG ~ 1.054, ~40IBU. Another option that could go well is combining Mt Hood, Cascade and Goldings for late hops, they are all fairly floral and aromatic final additions.

Thanks guys, I ended up doing 4.7kg maris otter, 20g target 90min, 15g brambling cross 30min, 12g goldings 10min.
Just banged into the fv now and mid way through the cleanup. Still got an elderflower cider kit to do for swmbo and if I have the energy a hippy juice.

Thanks for the suggestion jkaranka i think I'll do the second one in a couple of weeks once one my my fv's have been freed up.

From your hop schedule it sounds like you like your beer a lot maltier than I do, though, so be careful (recipe sounds good, so once I'm done with my next couple of big brews I'll second on my second recipe as well)! :cheers:

Back