Low Alcohol Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Reaction score
Morning Chaps,

Anybody have any experience of brewing lower or less alcohol beer?

I am considering halving the sugar in a kit as a trial, are there any pitfalls I should watch for?

Cheers :cheers:

I did one recently. A brewmakers victorian bitter. A bit of an experiment - I brewed it short (to 4 gallons instead of 5) but accidently put more sugar in than I'd intended bringing the ABV up to about 4%. So I added more water, taking it up to 4.5 gallons which should make it about 3.5% ABV.
It's now bottled and still conditioning. I did have a drink of it at bottling time and it tastes quite promising. Not much of a kick to it (as you'd expect!) but a decent flavour, and I guess because I'd used much less than a kg of sugar, it didn't seem to have the `homebrew twang' to it.
I'm going to maybe try this again, but again brew short to 4 gallons and be more careful about how much sugar slips in. It'll be a while yet before I try it though as I've just put a ST Peters Ruby Ale on and already have quite a lot of brews in stock.

You could also buy a less attenuating yeast instead of the kit yeast. It will give you a lower ABV% as it wont chew through as much available fermentabless as a higher attenuating yeast. It'll also give your beer a bit more body. Windsor is a good (notorious) one or, I think, mangrove jack newcastle dark ale yeast.

Latest posts

Back