Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell Ale Yeast M36

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smileyr8

Impressive Member
Reaction score
I am planning on using Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell Ale Yeast M36 for my next brew a Yorkshire Bitter.
Has anyone got any tips etc.
The Mangrove Jacks website states
"As a result of the drying process, Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series dried yeasts are not suitable for harvesting and/or repitching. For best results, always use a fresh sachet of yeast with every brew."
Has anybody harvested or repitched, it sounds like a marketing ploy to me to sell more yeast.

Used this several times in partial mash brews with good results.
Never harvested or repitched though.

I am planning on using Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell Ale Yeast M36 for my next brew a Yorkshire Bitter.
Has anyone got any tips etc.
The Mangrove Jacks website states
"As a result of the drying process, Mangrove Jack’s Craft Series dried yeasts are not suitable for harvesting and/or repitching. For best results, always use a fresh sachet of yeast with every brew."
Has anybody harvested or repitched, it sounds like a marketing ploy to me to sell more yeast.

I used M31 Trippel for my Summer Brews, first brew was a Pale pitched 6 May and I reused the yeast for five subsequent beers:

Dubbel 20/5
Patersbier 14/7
Dubbel 21/7
Stout 9/8
Westveleveren 8 26/8

I pour the trub from the first racking into a jug and decant it from there into 250ml bottles that once held lemonade. Keep them in the fridge. 3-4 months - no issues. They blow aa bit at pitching, even kept at 3C for 3 months, under the "green" beer. There is usually about an inch to 1.5 inches of trub on settling out, with the bottles full to the shoulder, as they are with lemonade at purchasing. A bonus is that you can even drink the lemonade on week nights.

The beers I have drunk or sampled are all fine. All the beers made from re-used trub are always fine. I store under green beer, not water and this may be a crucial difference. I am never "stingy" with leaving at least a litre or so of wort at the first racking.

M31 is super attenuating and this may be more noticeable on re-pitching due to the vast number of viable cells. I sort of aerate the wort by whisking for a minute or so to get some froth on the wort pre-pitch, but secretly doubt even this is really necessary..

Hi

I've used this for my last 10 plus AG brews, pitched at ranges from 20 -28 (hot summer to blame) straight from the packet and no problems. Fermentation gets going very quickly too.

Used M36 for an ESB, which tasted good at bottling. Pitched the trub from ESB straight into a Northern Brown Ale which is currently conditioning in a PB. The yeast took off straight away in the Brown Ale with exactly the same fruity smell.

Storing M36 for reuse in the fridge may have different results, I'm not quite there yet. I currently have a jar of saved trub in the fridge that will be built into a starter for my next brew.

Used M36 for an ESB, which tasted good at bottling. Pitched the trub from ESB straight into a Northern Brown Ale which is currently conditioning in a PB. The yeast took off straight away in the Brown Ale with exactly the same fruity smell.

Storing M36 for reuse in the fridge may have different results, I'm not quite there yet. I currently have a jar of saved trub in the fridge that will be built into a starter for my next brew.

I am planning to attempt to top crop, will probably save a jar of trub as well as a backup.

Also, M36 is a decent yeast. Takes a while to get going but is usually done inside a week.

I once pitched half the yeast cake from a golden ale into a bitter, where I'd used M36, with no problem (golden ale was hopped with Fuggles, bitter was hopped with EKG and Fuggles, so any flavour carry over was of no consequence). Worked fine and dandy, just gave me very slightly higher attenuation in the second usage than the first, probably due to over-pitching. I only used half of it as it would have been a huge over-pitch otherwise.

I am a big fan of M36, as I have mentioned before. It gives lovely fruity, typically British ale, esters if you ferment at around 20-23 degrees C.

Latest posts

Back