Mangrove's M54 Yeast at 10C?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin1911

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed up a Premium Pilsner kit from HBC yesterday. The kit came with 2 packs of Mangrove Jack's M54 yeast, which say to ferment between 18-20C. However, the instructions that came with the kit say to ferment at 10C. I've had it sitting in the kegerator at 11C for 24 hours, and there's no sign of anything happening. Should I raise the temp to 18C, or do I just need to be patient?

Thanks as always!

Kevin

I've used it a few times now and at 18-20 degrees it's a slow starter. Latest brew with it, yeast rehydrated Saturday afternoon, started showing signs of life on Monday afternoon.

M54 is a Steam Beer yeast not a proper lager yeast, it will go to sleep at 10C. Either they've given you the wrong yeast or they haven't updated their instructions.

Cheers guys, I figured it might be one of those two options.

It will wake up won't it, once the temp is raised?

As others have said, it'll go to sleep at 10C. I recently used it and accidently started it off at about 15C and it wouldnt start. I took the temp up (to around 20C iirc) and it started off no problem. As others have said it's a slow starter though

Latest posts

Back