Mash pH meter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don't think you need to pay that much: so far as I can tell all these meters all use the same type of electrode.
It's just a fact of life that pH meters do require a bit more care and looking after than most other 'tools' like a thermometer..

The key thing is to look after the electrode. In any case they only last a couple of years, but on a good meter they are replaceable.

Also if you want good accuracy you really need to do a three-point recalibration at least once a month (in practical terms that tends to mean before every session), using buffer solutions properly made up
with distilled water. What I do is mix 250ml of each buffer and just use 10ml of it for a calibration.

It‘s certainly a very good idea to rinse the electrode with distilled water between readings, and ideally it should be stored in a calcium chloride solution between sessions.

I have this one (£30) which works well.
Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 09.07.11.png

Last edited:
I honestly don't think you need to pay that much:

I was half expecting you to follow that telling me to build my own own 😀

Seriously though I would prefer faff free. My old cheapy lasted a year before it needed any calibration and only ever rinsed with tap water. I like the idea of a better quality one though where as you say I can replace the electrodes when needed.

You have to type it all out? With my spelling and fat thumbs that will be problematic.

Been discussed loads of times this PH meter thing and I have still the same old yellow chinese cheapie and it hardly ever needs calibrating and when it eventually does it is usually only 0.1 point out.
Maybe I have been lucky but I paid under a tenner for it probably 5 years ago and still as efficient and gives reading near enough for me.
Ps I am a Yorkshireman-short arms deep pockets they say :laugh8:

@the baron

Mine too but not sure if we got lucky as there are plenty of bad reviews. I tried to get another from same place as last time but they don’t stock them anymore. Can you remember where you got yours?

It was off Fleabay but they erase your purchase history after a short while so no but I have had the same thought of buying another one as this one has been so good at the price I paid. From memory I think I only paid £6 from China

just dug my cheapo one out, water from the tap View attachment 66481
That's the one I had up until my last brew. I went to check pH and it was very high. I looked at the bottom of the meter and the wee glass bulb had shattered. Don't know why ? I rinsed and dried it off with distilled water after every use and always used it in cool wort.

I might try the beer pH papers listed previously instead

I honestly don't think you need to pay that much: so far as I can tell all these meters all use the same type of electrode.
It's just a fact of life that pH meters do require a bit more care and looking after than most other 'tools' like a thermometer..

The key thing is to look after the electrode. In any case they only last a couple of years, but on a good meter they are replaceable.

Also if you want good accuracy you really need to do a three-point recalibration at least once a month (in practical terms that tends to mean before every session), using buffer solutions properly made up
with distilled water. What I do is mix 250ml of each buffer and just use 10ml of it for a calibration.

It‘s certainly a very good idea to rinse the electrode with distilled water between readings, and ideally it should be stored in a calcium chloride solution between sessions.

I have this one (£30) which works well.
View attachment 66468
That's a good recommendation. Not too expensive, 3 point calibration and a replacement probe.

I hate pH meters they're needy and temperamental PITA's, having to use them in an industrial environment.

That's a good recommendation. Not too expensive, 3 point calibration and a replacement probe.

I hate pH meters they're needy and temperamental PITA's, having to use them in an industrial environment.
I agree! There’s a lot to be said for narrow range indicator strips, but I find it hard to convince myself I’ve read them accurately :(

Latest posts

Back